Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP & VRRP with Interface Tracking

biplobkhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have two internet router which I have configure HSRP. Two router have connected same ISP line.

I configure for HSRP

==================

Interface 0/1

ip address 172.16.10.20 255.255.255.0

stanby 1 prioty 150

stanby 1 preempt

stanby 1 ip 172.16.10.110======

Now WAN interface of active router fails then need to configure Interface tracking

which is

standby 1 track GigabitEthernet 0/7 50.

now my confused is in HSRP has Interface Tracking which check WAN interface alive or not but In VRRP has like this which take over WAN interface ???.

2. another question is if we normal HSRP configure then its work when LAN interface down which is connected LAN switch ?. but if WAN interface down of ACTIVE router then its not take over ?.

PLS clear with sample configure HSRP confiure work on LAN /WAN interface down.

best wishes

biplob

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The physical interface must be down for the tracking command to work. Therefore, I recommend configuring IP SLA and within the SLA ping a remote host. If the remote host is unreachable, it's assumed the circuit is down.

You can associate the SLA to the "standby track" command.

I suggest using your neighboring router IP as the destination host on this SLA.

HTH,

__

Edison.

VRRP can track stuff like HSRP but this may be release level dependent. As Edison points out SLA is your best bet to do this. SLA has undergone many changes so again you need to check your IOS level.

This link has various examples of tracking stuff.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/configuration/guide/ipapp_eot.html#wp1055702

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card