Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP with Vlan

hii

Here i am attached my Network Diagram.in this diagram i have shown that we are having Two valn and we are reqired HSRP so how it's possible and how it configure??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just one more little thing..... if you are tracking another interface - you need to configure a decrement value, by default it's 10. So if you set the priority to 150 and track an interface, when that interface goes down - it decrements by that value = 150 - 10 = 140. The Default HSRP priority on an interface is 100....so the interface that is connected to the failed circuit still has the highest priority :o(

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

what format is your diagram in?

it's open office file now i am attaching .ppt file

What you want to do is pretty straight forward.

R2 could be the active and R3 could be the standby. The HSRP or standby address should be the IP address, the PC's and Phones have currently as a default gateway. Then you give the interfaces their own IP address. Configure your group numbers, preempt & priority numbers - and you are good to go.

HTH>

hii..

You are right.but ..

My Problem is in my R1(Main) router there is no. of sub interface, so i have to Put HSRP configuration to all Subinterface.? and is there R3 router connected through Trunk Port?? and is it also configure sub interfaces in R3 Standby Router.?

R3 is not in question?

You want to have 100% availbility from SW1 & SW2 to a layer 3 routing device = HSRP on VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 this is easy.

The connection between R2/R3 & R1 is something different - how do they connect?? over a serial connection?? I would run a dynamic routing protocol between R1/R2/R3 - use a specific /29 IP subnet between them.

ok ok so just i have to configure HSRP in first valn! and just R3 connected with Trunk Port ok ?..

I agree with you Andrew. I misread his diagram for I don't VLAN2 address on the switch. As you pointed out, the HSRP should take place for VLAN1 and VLAN2 ant its standby address would be used as gateway addresses

here i have to use layer 2 sw and inter-Vlan routing is there..can you send me configuration fo both R2 and R3 Router?

a sample HSRP config that you can modify on your layer 3 switches.

sw1

int vlan1

ip address 10.60.2.100 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip 10.60.2.x

standby 1 prio 150

standby 1 preempt

int vlan2

ip address 10.60.5.x 255.255.255.0

standby 2 ip 10.60.5.y

standby 2 preempt

sw2

int vlan1

ip address 10.60.2.101 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip 10.60.2.x

standby 1 preempt

int vlan2

ip address 10.60.5.z 255.255.255.0

standby 2 ip 10.60.5.y

standby 2 pri 150

standby 2 preempt

I would add one thing

standby x timers 1 3

The interfaces sends hellos every 1 second and considers the other side dead after 3 missed hellos - the failover time is 3 seconds. The default are 5 and 15 - the failover time is 15 seconds......in most networks this is to high, but.....

:-)...really nice. I just learned something.

;o)

Thank you for configuration but my main problem is we are using only Layer 2 Sw and is this (HSRP) possible with Router only??? we are not worried about Vlan but main thing is connecting R1 to R2,R3 with Serial (E1) Link. when R2 router link is broken then all my vlan traffic pass through R3 (stand by) Router To R1..?

The config supplied works in routers, just change the interface types.

if you want to track your serial interfaces the use:-

standby x track serial x/x

if your serial interfaces goes down, the LAN interfaces drops its priority and R£ takes over.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: