cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC-1ADSL supported in Germany (Siemens DSLAM) ?

Felix Curinga
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My customer has a 1841 with HWIC-1ADSL installed. Interface stays down/down when I connect the DSL line.

T-com uses Siemens DSLAM which is not in the list of supported DLSAM see table 1:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_data_sheet0900aecd80394b7e.html

--> can someone confirme me if yes or no this setup should work ?

System image file is "flash:c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-6.T5.bin"

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

can you upgrade to 12.4(11)T2 that might contain a newer dsl firmware ?

Also, is the provider using adsl2 / adsl2+ / annex A / annex M ? These modes can be configured in "dsl operating-mode"

Finally, if you enable "dsl enable-training-log" you can capture data useful for further troubleshooting the problem.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and tipps.

-> upgrade IOS: I will when I have confirmation this will solve the issue. By reading the Release notes I did not find any detailed information. Do you have a pointer to list of DSL firmware features added?

-> provider is T-com, service is ADSL, Annex A. I tried all dsl operating-modes, including "auto", without success.

-> enabled dsl training-log, will try to make a new attempt.

Will post data when available, thanks.

hi,

the upgrade is suggested anyway because 12.4(11)T2 is the only SW with LD status. As you don't have neither the later 12.4(6)T7. Still ED. All thse bring many bug fixes and improvements. No DSL firmware fixes are apparently documented.

(sorry for late reply - I was enjoying vacation)

Actually my customer found out some interesting info (in German) :

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL-over-ISDN#Annex_B

English translation:

Germany is the only country in the world where exclusively Annex-B is used (including for analog lines) !

We ordered a new AnnexB WIC card and will try this first. cheers

Would you be so kind to translate the full paragraph ? I'm curious to understand how ADSL over ISDN can be used for an analog line.

ist das weltweit einzige Land, in dem ausschlie?lich Annex B (d. h. Annex B auch an Analoganschl?ssen sowie bei ADSL-Schaltung ohne herk?mmliche Sprachtelefonie (nacktes DSL, NGN, Bitstromzugang) eingesetzt wird. Im restlichen Europa und in den USA wird vorwiegend Annex A bzw. in L?ndern mit hohem ISDN-Marktanteil (etwa in der Schweiz, in Skandinavien, in Belgien, den Niederlanden und in ?sterreich) ein Mischbetrieb von Annex A (an Analoganschl?ssen und bei purem ADSL/Bitstream) und reichweiten- und bandbreitenschwachem Annex B (lediglich an ISDN-Anschl?ssen) eingesetzt.

Annex B is designed for digital lines of the ISDN network ("ADSL over ISDN"). ADSL signal is on a higher frequency band, under which the ISDN or analog signals are carried (both will function, since the Annex B frequency domain is higher than the Annex A: the required frequency band for ISDN is 120kHz, where analog telephony only requires 4 kHz). With Annex B, the dowstream rate is between 138 kHz and 276 kHz, the downstream rate between 276 kHz and 1,1 MHz (2,2 MHz for ADSL2+).

Annex B is also describing the functions over ISDN lines with limited DSL frequency band in the further deployments of ADSL: ADSL2/2+ according to ITU G.992.3 and G.992.5

Germany is the only country worldwide where only Annex B is used (Annex B used also for Analog lines as well as ADSL-lines without any traditional telephony services - naked DSL, NGN, Unbundled Local Loop). In the rest of Europe and in the USA, Annex A is predominantly used, respectively a mix of Annex A (Analog lines or unbundled LL) and Annex B (ISDn lines) is used in countries with higher ISDN market share like Switzerland, Scandinavia, Belgium, Holland and Austria)

Very clear. Thanks Felix!

I think one paragraph should read as follows:

With Annex B, the upstream band is between 138 kHz and 276 kHz, the downstream band between 276 kHz and 1,1 MHz (2,2 MHz for ADSL2+).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card