cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC-4ESW and 2811 FE 0/0 - Simple bridging config?

NicP270591
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure a newly installed HWIC-4ESW on a 2811 router to bridge to the FE 0/0 interface. I have looked all over the web and found some very helpful advice, but just can't seem to get it. Currently, I have a cheap switch connected to FE 0/0 which in turn connects to all the phones, however now I just want to connect all the phones to the HWIC and have it internally bridge to FE0/0 for the connectivity to CME, etc.

can anyone supply a basic config that I can look at, to do just that?

Thanks!

Nic.

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which phones type ?

Hi Paolo,

One 7965, one 7975, and one 1242 Access Point.

Then you will need to configure a voice vlan and place the IP address in there.

There are quite many steps and things to be taken care of, if you're the end user the best approach is that you engage a reputable consultant, or UC certified Cisco partner, to save you a lot of wasted time and aggravations.

Nic

I would suggest that you think about connecting the phones to the 4ESW and just configure VLANs and VLAN interfaces to provide the connectivity that was provided by FE0/0. I believe that whatever functionality you have had on FE0/0 could be done on VLAN interfaces. I do not see any particular benefit from tying FE0/0 to that connectivity if it could be done through the 4ESW.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I'm gonna make up interface names 'cuz I'm not sure what your interfaces are, but it should be something like:

Where 1/0 - 4 is the hwic-4esw

interface range fast1/0 - 4

vlan 10

no shut

!

int fa0/0

vlan 10

no shut

!

int vlan10

ip address BLAHAHLAHLAHLA

no shut

!

Richard is correct however in saying that the advantages are limited. (You would only gain 1 port for the hwic-4esw). It would be much better to change the ip address on fa0/0 to be the ip address for vlan10, assign vlan10 to the switch card, and use fa0/0 for something else or shut it down.

NOTE:

There is a big difference between switch ports(HWIC-4ESW) and router ports(Fa0/0). They cannot take the same configurations.

P.S. As stated by Paolo, depending on the callmanager setup you may need seperate VLANs for Voice and Data. I do not think it is the case however, because you said you had the phones and PCs connected to a dumb switch and then to one Fa0/0 port which would imply they were bridged anyway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card