Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC-4ESW for Cisco 2851

yuhuiyao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to add layer 3 router interface on C2851. I did a search and find the following part number"

HWIC-4ESW

Four port 10/100 Ethernet switch interface card

My quesions is:

Will the 4 ethernet ports share just one layer 3 interface or they are 4 seperate layer 3 interfaces?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

YUHUI

The 4 Ethernet ports in the HWIC-4ESW are layer 2 ports. You can put all 4 ports into a single VLAN and have a single layer 3 interface if you want. Or you can put each port into a separate VLAN, define 4 VLAN interfaces, and therefore have 4 layer 3 interfaces.

It is quite flexible and the results will reflect what you want it to do.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

YUHUI

The 4 Ethernet ports in the HWIC-4ESW are layer 2 ports. You can put all 4 ports into a single VLAN and have a single layer 3 interface if you want. Or you can put each port into a separate VLAN, define 4 VLAN interfaces, and therefore have 4 layer 3 interfaces.

It is quite flexible and the results will reflect what you want it to do.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick. Rated 5.0

Rick,

How can I configure it? There seemed no vlan configuration available on a C2851 router.

YUHUI

I hope that you will find this link helpful about configuring the HWIC-4ESW:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/configuration/guide/lsw_hwic_ethsw_ic.html

I believe that you need to first configure the ports on the switch as access ports and assign each port to a different VLAN

SUMMARY STEPS

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. interface fastethernet interface-id

4. shutdown

5. switchport mode access

6. switchport access vlan vlan-num

7. no shutdown

8. end

and then you configure VLAN interfaces and assign each VLAN interface its own ip address and mask

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. interface vlan_id

4. ip address ip-address subnet-mask

5. end

Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your issue was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about an issue and can know that there were responses which did resolve the issue.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

This is a switch module, and those 4 ethernet ports are not visible in the router.

Can I have those 4 ethernet visible on the router?

YUHUI

I am surprised at that. Does the router see the switch module? What does show version indicate and perhaps the output of show diag.

From the link that I posted is a requirement for version of software:

Use of the Cisco IOS T release, beginning with Release 12.3(8)T4 or later for Cisco HWIC-4ESW

what version of software are you running on this router?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco