Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC-4ESW L2 or L3?

dragec
Level 1
Level 1

if I put this card into 2811 router, can I use these new ports as L3 ports

or they are just L2 ports (switched)? How can I increase number of L3 ports in 2800 series router. Logical subinterfaces on trunked port is mot an option.

thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

They are L2 ports only. You have to create L3 vlan interfaces on the router (just like a layer 3 switch), then assign a switch port to the vlan and uplink appropriately.

If you want to add an actual L3 interface, the only supported option is the HWIC-1GE-SFP. You will also need to purchase an SFP. The SFP models are below.

GLC-T= 1000BASE-T SFP

GLC-LH-SM= Gigabit Ethernet SFP, LC connector, LX/LH transceiver

GLC-SX-MM= Gigabit Ethernet SFP, LC connector, SX transceiver

GLC-ZX-SM= 1000BASE-ZX SFP

HTH and please rate.

View solution in original post

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

You can use any Network ether switch module i.e NM module on 2800 router and all the ports on a Network ether switch module can be configure as a Layer3 port. In 28000 series routers Except 2801 all the routers have 1NM module slot.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_qanda_item0900aecd802a9470.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

A port on the EtherSwitch module can be worked as a routed port With the release of IOS 12.2(15)ZJ and 12.3(4)T, an IP address may be assigned directly to ports of the EtherSwitch module. This feature makes those ports Layer 3 or "routed" ports.

Although there is no technical limit to the number of routed ports that can be configured as routed interfaces, we recommend a maximum of 4. A sample configuration is below:

interface FastEthernet1/0

no switchport

ip address 172.16.1.0 255.255.0.0

There are certain Limitations of the routed Ports:

The routed port feature was added to allow basic Layer 3 functionality without having to assign individual ports to specific VLANs. It was never intended to have the same features as an onboard FE interface. Any specific features should be tested before implementation. Some specific known limitations are:

* Does not support sub-interfaces

* Cannot receive an address from a DHCP server * Fancy L3 QOS is not supported (CBWFQ, LLQ, MQC) * Rate limiting is not supported * L2TPv3 tunnels cannot be terminated on routed ports or SVI interfaces * PPPOE features have not been thoroughly tested on these interfaces.

Please find the ESM module which are supported in c2811:

NME-16ES-1G One 16-port 10/100 EtherSwitch service

module, 1 10/100/1000 port, and IP Base

NME-16ES-1G-P One 16-port 10/100 Cisco EtherSwitch service module

w/802.3af, 1 10/100/1000 port, and IP Base

NM-16ESW 16-port 10/100 Cisco EtherSwitch? Network

Module

NM-16ESW-1GIG 16-port 10/100 Cisco EtherSwitch Network Module with

1 Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-T) port

NM-16ESW-PWR 16-port 10/100 Cisco EtherSwitch Network Module with

in-line power support

NM-16ESW-PWR-1GIG 16-port 10/100 Cisco EtherSwitch Network

Module with in-line power and Gigabit Ethernet

Regards

Sameer Meher

11 Replies 11

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

They are L2 ports only. You have to create L3 vlan interfaces on the router (just like a layer 3 switch), then assign a switch port to the vlan and uplink appropriately.

If you want to add an actual L3 interface, the only supported option is the HWIC-1GE-SFP. You will also need to purchase an SFP. The SFP models are below.

GLC-T= 1000BASE-T SFP

GLC-LH-SM= Gigabit Ethernet SFP, LC connector, LX/LH transceiver

GLC-SX-MM= Gigabit Ethernet SFP, LC connector, SX transceiver

GLC-ZX-SM= 1000BASE-ZX SFP

HTH and please rate.

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

You can use any Network ether switch module i.e NM module on 2800 router and all the ports on a Network ether switch module can be configure as a Layer3 port. In 28000 series routers Except 2801 all the routers have 1NM module slot.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_qanda_item0900aecd802a9470.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

A port on the EtherSwitch module can be worked as a routed port With the release of IOS 12.2(15)ZJ and 12.3(4)T, an IP address may be assigned directly to ports of the EtherSwitch module. This feature makes those ports Layer 3 or "routed" ports.

Although there is no technical limit to the number of routed ports that can be configured as routed interfaces, we recommend a maximum of 4. A sample configuration is below:

interface FastEthernet1/0

no switchport

ip address 172.16.1.0 255.255.0.0

There are certain Limitations of the routed Ports:

The routed port feature was added to allow basic Layer 3 functionality without having to assign individual ports to specific VLANs. It was never intended to have the same features as an onboard FE interface. Any specific features should be tested before implementation. Some specific known limitations are:

* Does not support sub-interfaces

* Cannot receive an address from a DHCP server * Fancy L3 QOS is not supported (CBWFQ, LLQ, MQC) * Rate limiting is not supported * L2TPv3 tunnels cannot be terminated on routed ports or SVI interfaces * PPPOE features have not been thoroughly tested on these interfaces.

Please find the ESM module which are supported in c2811:

NME-16ES-1G One 16-port 10/100 EtherSwitch service

module, 1 10/100/1000 port, and IP Base

NME-16ES-1G-P One 16-port 10/100 Cisco EtherSwitch service module

w/802.3af, 1 10/100/1000 port, and IP Base

NM-16ESW 16-port 10/100 Cisco EtherSwitch? Network

Module

NM-16ESW-1GIG 16-port 10/100 Cisco EtherSwitch Network Module with

1 Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-T) port

NM-16ESW-PWR 16-port 10/100 Cisco EtherSwitch Network Module with

in-line power support

NM-16ESW-PWR-1GIG 16-port 10/100 Cisco EtherSwitch Network

Module with in-line power and Gigabit Ethernet

Regards

Sameer Meher

Hello,

I am preparing to purchase several 2811/2821 routers for a WAN project. I am struggling a bit to understand the differences between the NM-16ESW versus the NME-16ES-1G (with IP Base).Can you help clarify ? Thanks. Ivan Danelon

Ivan,

NM-16ESW has 16 10/100 ports onnly while NM-16ES-1G has 16 10/100 ports and 1 10/100/100 copper port that you can use for uplinking.

Please find the links for both the modules for more diffrence:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_data_sheet09186a00801aca3e.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028d15f.html

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

Thanks for the links. What I was looking for is a definitive answer if I can assign an IP address to the ports on a NM-16ESW.

Thanks

Ivan Danelon

Please ignore my previous query.We found a feature comparison table that answers our question.

Thanks

Well, you tricked me ... it is not possible to configure IP on HWIC4ESW port

rET(config-if)#ip addr 5.5.5.5 255.255.255.0

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

rET(config-if)#

Well, you tricked me ... it is not possible to configure IP on HWIC4ESW port

rET(config-if)#ip addr 5.x.x.x.255.255.0

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

rET(config-if)#

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello Dragec,

I guess Sameer is right. Just like a normal switch, u can use the no switchport command and disable Layer 2. But the basic purpose for these cards (4ESW) more suits the SOHO or small office environments, where you have 3 or 4 PCs which requires connection to the WAN. Typically , putting a 4ESW module here makes more sense than increasing the passive components on the network. So, in accordance with your requirement, I guess you can go for a card like NM-1GE or something like a NM-2FE-2W , to get the Layer 3 connectivities to providers to build up Ethernet based circuits like E0SDH, Metro circuits etc...

Hope this helps..

Raj

Hi!

below router I have 6 VLANs. And I am required to terminate VLANs on router and that each VLAN has its own phisical interface on router.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card