cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hyperterm to a 2811

rcarroll
Level 1
Level 1

After erasing the startup-config on a 2811 router, I am unable to get past the "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog?" prompt.

None of the key strokes issued from my PC have any effect.

I have:

Tried using a different console cable

Tried using a different PC (Both XP pro)

Changed the hyperterm settings (baud rate,stop bits - all of them)

Turned on the "echo typed characters"

Turned on "Send line ends with line feeds"

Used a different term application.

None of this has had any effect. Any ideas?

15 Replies 15

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

first make sure you have a working cable/terminal program combination f.e. trying it on another router. Also make sure you are using the proper com port, which might be not com1.

If this is ok, then issue a break sequence during boot. You should then enter rommon mode and there set the config-register to the default value 0x2102.

Regards, Martin

Thanks for the reply Martin,

I've already tried a new cable and term program.

I can't get to rommon because my keystrokes (in this case, the break sequence) have no effect.

Roger

Do I understand correctly that if you power cycle the router you get the bootup messages on the console and that you get the prompt about entering the initial config prompt? What happens if you respond yes you do want to enter the intiail configuration dialogue?

Your description of the symptoms suggests that either the console speed gets reset somehow, that the exec process on the console is stopped, or that there may be a hardware issue with the console port. If you connect to the aux port do you get anything?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

That is correct, I get the bootup messages when I power cycle.

Nothing happens when I specify yes or no. Nothing at all.

I see no bootup messages when I use the aux port.

I would agree with your console port diagnosis, if it weren't for the fact that I had just used the console port to erase the startup-config. But you might be right on that.

10 Years after this post was written it has helped similar issue :) Thanks guys.

P.S I disbaled/enabled my com port which was for some reason was reseting with different speed and I could not pass the config diagl prompt.

Thanks Team

Glad we were able to help you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Make sure your serial port is set to "No Flow Control" (i.e., no hardware or software flow control).

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks for the input. I think I'm not making myself clear, I had just finished erasing the startup config over a console connection and the problem started when I restarted it.

If what you are saying is that this setup was working and then you erased the startup config, and then the problem started after a reboot. Then it sounds to me like you IOS or Flash might be having issues. If it were me I would get the router to rommon then reload the IOS to the router.

Good Luck - Chris

That sounds like a good idea. I couldn't figure out how to do that without keyboard input.

That's what lead me to this site.

Roger

The more that I hear your symptoms the more it begins to sound to me like a problem with the console port that coincidently started at the time that you erased. If you could get past the startup dialogue the aux port could be helpful. But if you start with no config and can not get through (or past) the startup dialogue the aux port does not get initialized.

There is one technique that I have seen that might possibly help get you to rommon:

- set your terminal emulator to 1200 (note that with some versions of Hyperterm and perhaps other emulators, when you change speed you may need to stop and start the emulator to really pick up the new speed)

- power cycle the router

- press and hold the space bar.

A stream of "space" characters transmitted at very slow speed may be interpreted as a break sequence.

When you change the terminal emulator speed you will probably not see the messages from the router on the console. So after a period of holding the space bar, I would change the emulator speed back to 9600 and see if you are at the rommon prompt.

One other idea is to ask you to capture and post all the messages generated by the router as it boots. Perhaps there is some clue in those messages that will help us find some solution.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

I have the same problem in a Cisco 871 router. The main problem is that I don?t see any message on the startup process. I only see ? symbols and I can?t intercat with teh router. Previously I have access from the console anthe only thing I do is erase startup and reboot

Sorry by my bad english

Solution that works for my problem.

I dont't know why but I've changed the port speed to 1200 and I get access through the console.

Jose

Your description of not seeing messages at bootup but only seeing ? and other strange symbols is a classic description of the console speed being set to a different speed. In your case 1200. In general the console speed is controlled by bits in the config register and on some platforms there is a speed command on the console port. If your problem started when you erased the config then it is likely that your issue is in the config register. You can check the value of the config register by doing the show version command. Look in the output down to the bottom and there should be a line that tells the value of the config register. Normal value for the config register is 0x2102. You can use the configuration command config-reg 0x2102 to set the value back to the normal 9600.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card