cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I deleted the ios accidentally, now 1841 router is in rommon> mode,please Help !!!!!

vikramdeshmukh2
Level 1
Level 1

I deleted the ios accidentally, now 1841 router is in rommon> mode ?

I am trying to upgrade a new IOS that i downloaded (c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-12c.bin) through TFTP server, but it fails , i have a serial console connected to my pc, below is the commands i executed for upgrading >>>!

System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

rommon 10 > confreg

Configuration Summary
   (Virtual Configuration Register: 0x2102)
enabled are:
load rom after netboot fails
console baud: 9600
boot: image specified by the boot system commands
      or default to: cisco2-c1841

Please tell me how to upgrade the new IOS so as to get into the privilage mode ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am sorry that the links did not work. When I look back at the link I posted I see that it does require partner level access. I believe that this link gets to the same document and does not require partner level access:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon_ps5853_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1070700

Is your router connected to the TFTP server on the FastEthernet0/0 port? I believe that the tftpdnld is looking for the first FastEthernet port to make the connection.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Vikram

If you have an IOS image on a TFTP server then the feature that you want to use is tftpdnld which is designed to use TFTP from rommon to recover an IOS image. You will need to set some variables before you run tftpdnld. See this link for details about how to use tftpdnld on 1800 series routers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon_ps5853_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1070700

be careful with the line wrap.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

kyukim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

From romon, you can set up ip addresss and do tftp copy.

Here is detail procedure.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bf9e.shtml

KK

Hi Richard & KK,

I tried tftpdnld command , below is the detail,

rommon 11 > set
PS1=rommon ! >
WARM_REBOOT=FALSE
CRASHINFO=flash:crashinfo_20090826-153851
BSI=0
RANDOM_NUM=1550806191
RET_2_RTS=22:54:59 UTC Mon Nov 15 2010
RET_2_RCALTS=1289861700
?=0
rommon 12 > IP_ADDRESS=192.168.10.77
rommon 13 > IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0
rommon 14 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.168.10.1
rommon 15 > TFTP_SERVER=192.168.10.45
rommon 16 > TFTP_FILE=
rommon 16 > TFTP_FILE=c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-12c.bin
rommon 17 > tftpdnld

IP_ADDRESS: 192.168.10.77
      IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.0
     DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 192.168.10.1
         TFTP_SERVER: 192.168.10.45
           TFTP_FILE: c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-12c.bin
        TFTP_MACADDR: 00:1b:0c:84:aa:e2
        TFTP_VERBOSE: Progress
    TFTP_RETRY_COUNT: 18
        TFTP_TIMEOUT: 7200
       TFTP_CHECKSUM: Yes
             FE_PORT: 0
       FE_SPEED_MODE: Auto Detect

Invoke this command for disaster recovery only.
WARNING: all existing data in all partitions on flash: will be lost!
Do you wish to continue? y/n:  [n]:  y
Interface link did not come up.  Timed out.

TFTP: Operation terminated.

Also tried to open the links that you both have posted but i cannot access, got the massage that is attached.........

I am sorry that the links did not work. When I look back at the link I posted I see that it does require partner level access. I believe that this link gets to the same document and does not require partner level access:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon_ps5853_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1070700

Is your router connected to the TFTP server on the FastEthernet0/0 port? I believe that the tftpdnld is looking for the first FastEthernet port to make the connection.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot, it worked, i am very very thankful to you , god bless you !!!

Vikram

I am glad that you got it to work and that my suggestions were helpful. Thank you for marking the problem as resolved (and thanks for the points). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can read the solution to the problem. Marking the thread as resolved helps readers to know that they will read the solution to the problem and is helpful to the readers in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

I have one more query, that i will make as a new discussion, hope you will solve that.

Thanks in advance

Vikram

Hi Vikram,

Recently I faced exactly same probelm as you did 6 years ago! Could you please tell me how you solved the problem?

I would be thankful to your reply.

regards

Motiar

Could you please tell me how you solved the problem?

The router has a CF.

Eject the CF and copy the IOS from your computer into the CF by using a multi-media card reader. 

Once the IOS has been copied into the CF, insert the CF into the router.

Thank you very much for your quick reply...it solved so quickly! Many thanks, Leo.

Please don't forget to rate our useful post(s).

Hello Leo,

The problem is solved. But I wanted to copy & load the image from TFTP server using tftpdnld (disater recovery). My TFTP server is functional that I tested with another Router. I followed like:

rommon>IP_ADDRESS: xxxx
rommon>IP_SUBNET_MASK: xxxx

rommon>DEFAULT_GATEWAY: xxxxx
rommon>TFTP_SERVER: xxxx
rommon>TFTP_FILE: c1841...mz.124-12c.bin

rommon>tftpdnld

But every time I failed. Can you please give a hint, how I could do this job successfully using tftpdnld?

regards

Motiar

What is the exact error message when using TFTPdnld?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card