cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I deleted the ios accidentally, now 1841 router is in rommon> mode,please Help !!!!!

vikramdeshmukh2
Level 1
Level 1

I deleted the ios accidentally, now 1841 router is in rommon> mode ?

I am trying to upgrade a new IOS that i downloaded (c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-12c.bin) through TFTP server, but it fails , i have a serial console connected to my pc, below is the commands i executed for upgrading >>>!

System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

rommon 10 > confreg

Configuration Summary
   (Virtual Configuration Register: 0x2102)
enabled are:
load rom after netboot fails
console baud: 9600
boot: image specified by the boot system commands
      or default to: cisco2-c1841

Please tell me how to upgrade the new IOS so as to get into the privilage mode ?

21 Replies 21

Motiar

I agree with Leo that knowing the exact error message would be helpful. In addition here are some additional questions which would give us helpful information:

- is this also an 1841 or some other model of router?

- which interface on the router is used for the connection?

- how is your PC connected to the router? Is it connected through a switch or is it connected directly to the router? What kind of cable is used for the connection?

- when you use xxxx to hide addresses, masks, etc it makes it quite difficult for us to evaluate the relationships. Is there any reason you do not show these addresses?

- can you verify that the TFTP server is running and is pointed to the directory where the router image file is?

- are there any messages or other indications that the TFTP server sees a request from the router?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

The details information I provided to Leo, please have a look. Here is additional information for you.

- this is also an 1841 IOS (c1841-adventerprisek9-mz.124-11.T4.bin)

- the interface was fa0/0

- the pc is directly connected to Router via Crossover cable.

- there is no special reason to hide the IP address. I actually don't have the actual error message, therefor I just wrote there some summery information. But the IP address was 192.168.1.5 with the Sub.mask 255.255.255.0, TFTP server / PC 192.168.1.4 

- The TFTP server is running well, the default directory path is C:\ProgramData\WinAgents\TFTP Server 4\TFTPRoot

(here is something to tell you: while I pointed the full path of the file, there was a message that the path was too long. Only "TFTProot\file" accepted )

- no other indication to the TFTP server.

Hope, you have a suggestion too.

Regards

Motiar

Hi Leo,

I actually don't have the original error message right now (did not copy) while using TFTPdnld. But the message was showing something like: "missing file or incomplete ....." I am trying to send you the exact error- message by creating it again.

However, I have a new problem after copying the image into CF using multimedia-card reader as you suggested: the image can't be seen in flash memory by "sh flash" commands like: show flash: dir flash: etc. But I see the image into flash memory by "show version" command.

Attached you are getting all the commands and outputs that I carried on.

Here is once again what did from the beginning:

- Router 1841, original IOS: c1841-broadband-mz.124-1c.bin

- I did backup the original IOS into TFTP server, then deleted it from CF (because I wanted to make space into the CF to upgrade the IOS with c1841-adventerprisek9-mz.124-11.T4.bin)

- Then I followed the TFTPdnld proccedure, but failed.

- Then I copied the image (new one) into the CF by using multimedia-card reader.

The new image is working fine! I can configure what i want, only I don't see the image into flash (I actually wanted to backup & delete the new image and recover it using TFTP server by TFTPdnld and to send you the Error Message, but I don't see the image into flash).

Do you have any suggestion?

Regards

Motiar

flash:c1841-adventerprisek9-mz.124-11.T4.bin

The IOS is a "T" train.  Can you load a different IOS?  There's a chance this is a bug.

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T

The ROMmon is running the basic version.  I highly recommend you consider upgrading the ROMmon to T5 version so this router can boot an IOS, from ROMmon, using a USB stick.

Hi Leo,

I succeeded recovering the System Image (tftpdnld) from a remote TFTP server ! Actually the input commands are case sensitive, like  IP_ADDRESS=192.68.1.1 (and not like ip_address=192.168.1.1), and also tftp_file without directory path, like TFTP_FILE=c1841-adventerprisek9-mz.124-11.T4.bin

It works file! Thank you all for the response.

Regards

Motiar

Motiar

Thanks for posting back to the forum to let us know that you have resolved your problem using tftpdnld. Your message is a good reminder that the parameters for this command are case sensitive and generally are in CAPS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Interesting ... 

Problem solved yet he is "unable" to rate our useful posts.  Very interesting.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card