cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I need help ASAP please!

eric_clapp
Level 1
Level 1

I am having major troubles with Email and our new Cisco Router (871W).

I have basically factory reset it, gave it an IP address and spoofed the mac address of the old router and can't recieve emails. Everytime I send a mail from an external email account I get a NDR saying that 'I do not have permisson to send to the reciepent' and that ist ot configured to relay mail from me to them.

Nothing has changed on the SMTP server at all!

Do I have to define any rules? NAT ACLs?

Your help please. This is the first Cisco router I've touched and its causing me a head ache!

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Hello Eric,

can you post your config ?

Regards,

GP

I guess ur Mail Server (SMTP Server) has a public IP. Ur SMTP Server I presume mite either b on LAN or DMZ. U have guessed rite...u have 2 define a Global NAT for ur SMTP Server. As far as ACL goes...it depends on ur requirement. If u want only mail traffic then u mest keep only Port 25 open. Also if u dont have a public IP for ur SMTP Server & have only 1 public IP for ur Router WAN Interface then u must do some sorts of Port Forwarding for Port 25. Plz let me know if this resolves ur problem.

Thanks for your response.

Yes we have one external IP address which our mail is forwarded to via DNS. On our old router we then setup port forwarding so that any requests on port 25 it forwarded to the mail server which only has a private LAN address. The Mail server sits on the same LAN as everything else as its our AD server etc.

Please can you advise what I need to do? I have looked into the ACL but this seems OK?

Thanks again

From ur problem I suspect tht ur port forwarding is not functioning properly. 2 chk tht it is functioning properly get urself Internet access from a PC external 2 ur Office Network & try 2 TELNET to port 25 of ur external IP, chk whether u r getting some sort of SMTP or ESMTP welcome screen or mite b sum kind of blinking cursor.

You get an error 421 message. NO smtp service available. I haven't defined any sort of port forwarding as I don't know how to.

Thanks

Plz go thro sum docs which gives u the CLI commands 4 ur rtr. Frankly speaking I have not worked on this rtr...so unable 2 tell u d exact commands 4 Port Forwarding. If u still need 2 know d exact command then u have 2 give me atleast 3-4 days as I am currently bz with sum product launch. But since u r in networking u have 2 make all things from notworking 2 networking (i.e. do sum r&d & search 4 d commands).

Thanks for the response and your time.

I have got this guide http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/794/827spat.pdf

only its not much of a guide. I have folllowed it inputting the bits in bold and transposing the ip addresses and port number. Some of the commands dont complete. like 'ip nat outside' this needs a source and other bits.

This is driving me crazy as I check the logs and all appear to be ok except things aren't. Put the old router back in and it works fine.

Why dont u try 2 download ur old rtr config using tftp or sum other means & then upload d same config 2 ur new rtr.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card