Views
Helpful
Replies

i need simple qos config

anand.narine1
Level 1
Level 1

my situation is

clients -------------- routerA------------------10Mbps----------------routerB-----------5Mbps internet

RouterB is connected to the internet 5Mbps dsl modem. I want to guarantee some important clients at least 90% internet bandwidth. Can anyone share the qos commands that will work for this?

17 Replies 17

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try this:

class-map match-any InternetTraffic

match protocol http

match protocol https

policy-map InternetTraffic

class InternetTraffic

bandwidth percent 90

class class-default

bandwidth percent 5

interface

max-reserved-bandwidth 100

service-policy out InternetTraffic

In reality, you'll lose control of qos at your edge router though. This may help with queueing from the router's perspective, but won't help much more than that. The above class map is only for web traffic. You can put anything else web related (video, smtp, esmtp, etc) in the above class map. Whatever lands in the class under the policy will contend for the 90% of bandwidth that you've allocated.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

• which router do i enter the config?
  • your config will allow 90% guarantee for all clients ? 
  • how about if i wanted to just allow 192.168.1.77 host computer  to have guaranteed 90% internet bandwidth?

Is that your computer?

Yes you can also have a class-map to match by source IP.

Will the "bandwidth percent 90" only kick in if the link is congested? see the difference in speeds in the diagram

As Jamie stated, yes you can do it by host with one caveat. QoS happens after natting, so your 192.168.1.77 host would need to be matched on it's natted address outbound instead of the real address.

To do that, you would create an access-list and match on that:

access-list 1 permit host 192.168.1.77

class-map SingleHost

match access-group 1

policy-map SingleHost

class SingleHost

bandwidth percent 90

The config that I posted originally will guarantee 90% for all clients using HTTP/SSL. Anything else would hit the default class. Yes, the bandwidth guarantee kicks in when congestion occurs...otherwise you wouldn't need QoS if there's no congestion on the interface.

HTH,
John

i guess in my situation bandwidth guarantee will never kick in since congestion will never occur even if the 5Mbps internet is fully utilized... what can I do?

Congestion happens based on what the interface believes that it has. If you have a 100mb port connected to a DSL modem, you may only have 5Mb on the outside, and your router believes it has 100Mb to use. Set the interface bandwidth command on the router that leads to the DSL modem with "bandwidth 5000". You'll get congestion, especially if you have a 10Mb circuit between your customers and you.

HTH,
John

Clients -------------- routerA (e0)------------------10Mbps----------------routerB-----------5Mbps internet

In the above diagram, if i set the routerA interface e0 to 5000, won't this affect all other traffic (eg. \\file shares on servers in site B)

Where are you trying to control it? If you're trying to control to 5Mb on the interface that leads to routerB, you'd probably want to police inbound on routerb to 5Mb. I was under the impression you want to do this on your 5Mb interface on routerB, although that would affect everyone.

And no, it wouldn't affect file shares if you're only matching on web traffic as stated above.

On routerB's interface that leads to routerA, you'd do everything stated above except the bandwidth statement. Then in your policy map, you'd police the traffic inbound:

policy-map

class

police 5000000

That would only police whatever your class map matches to 5Mb.

HTH,
John

the router connected to the dsl modem does not support qos. so I need to implement qos config at router A.

I am thinking the bandwidth 90 percent command would not kick in, since router to router link is 10Mbps, whereas internet dsl speed is 5Mbps. So clients will max out the internet, but the router will think there is no congestion, and allow all clients full internet download speed.

You can shape or police to 4.5mb outbound on routerA and still only match on web traffic. Shaping and policing will run all of the time when not congested when it reaches the specified rate.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

the problem with shaping and policing is that i will be restricting clients. I prefer to allow clients to downloading at whatever speed, but allow a specific important client 90% internet bandwidth guaranteed if needed.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

John Blakley wrote:

Congestion happens based on what the interface believes that it has. If you have a 100mb port connected to a DSL modem, you may only have 5Mb on the outside, and your router believes it has 100Mb to use. Set the interface bandwidth command on the router that leads to the DSL modem with "bandwidth 5000". You'll get congestion, especially if you have a 10Mb circuit between your customers and you.

John, an interface's bandwidth statement doesn't directly have anything to do with causing congesting, except (?) in later shapers that might use a shaper bandwidth percentage based on what the shaper believes the interface bandwidth to be.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Depending on what kind of device are your "routers", it's often not too difficult to guarantee some amount of bandwidth outbound.  However, trying to guarantee inbound bandwidth isn't really possible, although you can often "influence" inbound bandwidth consumption.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card