cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I want to learn this stuff!

dukmaniquis18
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there everyone, you can call me Duk and I'm from the Philippines. I'm new in this community and I don't have an IT background.

I'd like to ask if it's possible to learn these stuff through the internet? Though there's one learning center here in my area that's offering a 5-day CCNA bootcamp.

Is this enough for me to start learning this?

Here's the link of the said bootcamp post on Facebook..

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.ittc/timeline/story?ut=43&wstart=0&wend=1375340399&hash=4233431151601813696&pagefilter=3

Thanks everyone, appreciate the help.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

13 Replies 13

jpl861
Level 4
Level 4

Brod,

Madaming paraan :)

You may just try to buy Ciscopress books for CCNA. I don't know if Sybex by Todd Lammle is still available in the market and that one is good as well. Just read those and you will be in good hands. If you want to do some simulations then you can download GNS3 or Packet-Tracer.

If you still want more and you have few bucks to spare then you may attend bootcamp. You may want to have solid foundation first before attending those type of trainings.

Paspasan masyado dun.

HTH,
John

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

dukmaniquis18
Level 1
Level 1

Yun nga rin inaalala ko, baka hindi ko ma-absorb.

Thanks man! :)

kabayan,

IMHO, it all depends on how the person is willing to learn.

there are many ways to learn and get into cisco as the other john had posted.

personally, i've attained my CCNA through CNAP and it was one of the best decisions i've made in my career.

i've heard from friends and colleagues that Rivan IT is solid:

https://www.facebook.com/rivansystems?fref=ts

good luck and mabuhay!

'lang hiya, John!  Pinoy ka pala! 

hey leo,

didn't know your also pinoy.

thanks for your help all this time!

Walang problema, pre!

jpl861
Level 4
Level 4

Yes mga sir! Pinoy here.

Not sure what's with CNAP right now. I took it almost 11 years ago and in my opinion it wasn't that good. Maybe during that time where resources are very limited then things were harder. I think CNAP nowadays should be better. And yes they are right, it depends on your willingness to learn. If you take CNAP then it's too long. If you take bootcamp then that's too fast so it will really be up to you on how to approach this.

Ciscopress and Sybex books are really good for self-paced studies.

Good luck bro.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hi John,

Being a NetAcad instructor since 2004, I can say that the NetAcad has gone a long route and I think that currently, it is in a relatively good shape. New CCNA curricula are being prepared currently, so I am holding my breath a little As always, very much depends on the instructor. A keen, interested and active instructor can do miracles even in a small lab with just a handful of resources. And of course, very much depends also on students.

I personally disagree that the NetAcad approach takes too long. In my opinion, it does not. The way we teach CCNA at my academy is during a single school year with 2 hours of lectures and 4 hours of labs each week of both the winter and spring term (we stuff two CCNA NetAcad semesters into a single university term) and let me tell you - it's a very intensive course, it is fully packed, students have to work very hard to keep the pace. Once again: an entire year of CCNA studies and there's an awful lot to learn and lab and master! Perhaps what makes the NetAcad different is that this courseware tries to go deep into foundations and principles and tries to explain why things work or are designed in a particular way, not just how and/or when to use them. As soon as you decide to be a network expert, the how and/or when is secondary. The why aspect is paramount - and to actually begin to grasp all the logic and wisdom behind different things in networking, you simply need time because there is so much to understand. So in my opinion, the NetAcad is just right. After all, where else can a student get so much time with his/her own device pod, play with it as he/she likes, create a topology, configure it, break and fix it and try things you'd never try in a production network? This can not be hastened.

My two cents...

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Good for you if that is the case. Like I said, I think it should be different now and it should be better. I didn't like the way it was taught 11 years ago and probably it is way much better now. I don't know if you have taught in the Philippines as well but not all academies here are very competitive.  When I tried it 11 years ago, the course was too long. I was able to finish my CCNA before I finished the entire course. The entire course is 12 months long. I almost took my exam on my 6th or 7th month but had to wait until the 11th because the exam coverage changed. The lab in my CNAP uses 2500 routers where CCNA exam coverage is already 2600. I know you have good network gears in the US but that's not always the case here. I am hoping that the NetAcad centres here in PH do have at least 2800 routers. "I'm hoping".  You can't even buy a CCNA book here in PH that is updated. No CCNPs, no CCIE resources, no nothing. We do have Windows 2000 books at the bookstore though.

I have a friend who took the CNAP few years back (i think 2010) but after 3 months foundation is not yet that good and I didn't get good feedback from him as well. So that's why we are saying that it depends on the student as well. You can learn things on your own. There are some people who are really dependent with instructors and some prefers self-studies. I prefer the latter one. That's why we are giving him options on what he can do or what's going to work for him best. It's not that I'm saying CNAP is bad today, in my opinion, it was bad during my time.

So going back, there are some things that can be used to simulate things like GNS3 or Packet-tracer. I'm pretty sure you are familiar with that as you are much more ahead than me. If you really want to learn then there are a lot of things you can do especially here where anything Cisco related is expensive. So what I'm saying is that NetAcad is not the only place where you can train yourself extensively that's why we are giving him "options".

John

usasigcis
Level 1
Level 1

for CCNA there are so many resources. remember CCNA blueprint has changed recently.

also INE.com has a free ccna training for registered users.

best way to learn is to read and lab it. gns3 could be your best friend. look into cbtnuggets videos for gns training if you need any

alceryes3
Level 1
Level 1

As others have said, it depends on how you want to (or are good at) learning. If you're starting fresh I think you should start with the CCENT though. (or am I missing something?)

dukmaniquis18
Level 1
Level 1

Appreciate the replies sirs

hi sir,

we hope you'll find our posts or this forum very useful.

would appreciate if you could rate any useful post and mark this thread as resolved. thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card