Views
Helpful
Replies

iBGP Load Balancing

mmendis
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

What is the best way to do a iBGP Load Balancing ???

16 Replies 16

doncarei2
Level 1
Level 1

do you have EBGP to your both upstreams?

Following is the basic setup of my Network. I want to load share R3,R4,R5,R6 traffic between R1,R2 routers.

Hope you all understand the diagram.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You're looking for something better than iBGP ECMP?

If so, you could consider PBR or (probably the best) OER/PfR (if supported by your platform).

I need a iBGP Load Balancing setup. Any way I used BGP multipath ibgp option. But I'm not confident with that cause it's configuring global.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Why are you not confident because it global?

In any case, from your diagram, assuming your iBGP peers have more bandwidth to the two egress routers, and your egress routers are much more bandwidth constrained to the Internet, OER/PfR might be good for R1 and R2.

Because I'm using multipath value as 2 ... where as an example R3 has more than 2 peers. I'm not sure ( not very much clear ) above command is going to impact other peers as well :( ...

Anyway I'm not very much familiar with OER/PfR .. need to do a reading :)

thanks mate :) !!!!

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Multipath usually supports more than 2.  How many depends on device and its installed IOS.

Hi,

I'm a little confused by " ... where as an example R3 has more than 2 peers."

a) R3 router on your diagram below has got 2 neighbors only?!

b) maximum-paths ibgp maximum-number

command does not allow more than 2 parallel iBGP routes on your router?

See http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_bgp/configuration/15-mt/irg-15-mt-book/irg-multi-load.html#d128225e617a1635

for details.

Best regards,

Milan

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

To expand on Milan's second point, from 15.1 reference guide.

The number of paths that can be configured is determined by the version of Cisco IOS software as shown in the following list:

• Cisco IOS Release 12.0S-based software: 8 paths
  • Cisco IOS Release 12.3T, 12.4, 12.4T, and 15.0-based software: 16 paths
  • Cisco IOS Release 12.2S-based software: 32 paths

Dear Milan/Joseph  thanks for replying.......

Please refer the below diagram ..... According to that R3 will have routes from R1 & R2 and other downstream routers as well. So my point is when we configured

maximum-paths ibgp maximum-number .... It should effect other peering prefixes as well ???

isclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Yes, the max paths impacts all, but from R3, it doesn't have multi-path to its downstream routers.

Hi,

are you afraid of the same prefix advertised by two downstream routers?

Or even by downstream and upstream routers?

So you would like to loadshare to the upstream routers only?

In that case you would need to configure eBGP to them and use eBGP loadsharing, I'm afraid.

Best regards,

Milan

Is OER/PfR getting deprecated ???

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

OER (v1) sort of yes, because of PfR (v2).  Unaware of such plans for PfR.  Did you see something to make you think this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card