Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

iBGP over DMVPN - question on neighbor peer

Hi All,

I have a question regarding using iBGP in my core and solitary routing in a hub and spoke network that uses DMVPN's.  I constructed a lab, which I'll sketch out below:

Hub Router (iBGP 65000 & DMVPN Tu1 1.1.1.1)----------Router simulating ISP cloud (static routing)-------Spoke Router (iBGP 65000 & DMVPN tu1 1.1.1.9)

Now, what I want to do is set the neighbor statements in the BGP configs on both hub and spoke routers to the tunnel addresses of each's peer:

Hub:

router bgp 65000

neighbor 1.1.1.9 remote-as 65000

network 192.168.165.0 mask 255.255.255.0

Spoke:

router bgp 65000

neighbor 1.1.1.1 remote-as 65000

network 10.234.61.0 255.255.255.224

Now, assuming my DMVPN configs are correct, (and they are, because I tested the tunnel before implementing the BGP test), I would think the tunnel would establish, essentially making the devices appear to be one hop away from each other, and the tunnel IP's would form the BGP neighborship.

However, I could not get this to work, and I am guessing it is because you can't BGP peer a virtual interface to a virtual interface if your routers are not physically adjacent.

Is this correct? Does the BGP peering have to be done between routers that are physically next to each other from a layer 3 perspective?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content