Views
Helpful
Replies

Ignoring routing updates based on tag

tiagoquelhas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to know how to configure Cisco IOS so as to ignore updates received through a particular routing process based on the tag they carry.

I am aware of the distribute-list command used in router configuration mode, e.g.

router ospf 100

distribute-list route-map foo in

!

route-map foo deny 10

match tag 42

!

The above commands, in my understanding, ignore all routing updates received via OSPF instance 100 carrying a tag with value 42.

However, the documentation for IOS release 12.4T says that the route-map clause of the distribute-list command is only available for the OSPF and EIGRP routing protocols.

Is there any other way to filter updates based on the tag value in routing protocols other than these?

Best regards,

Tiago

2 Replies 2

smahbub
Level 6
Level 6

Route-map command can be used to ignore updates received through a particular routing process based on the tag they carry.The command can be used for protocols like RIP,OSPF,IGRP.

Refer the following url for more information on route-map command and its usage to ignore updates received based on the tag:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/11_1/np1/command/reference/4riprout.html#wp6844

Could you please give me an example on how to do so? (filtering routing updates carrying a specific tag using a route-map).

I've researched on route-maps before, but I only saw them used in the context of route redistribution and policy routing --- neither of which are, as far as I know, adequate for my purpose.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card