cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IGX 84xx

sbhagwandien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi we have a setup using a IGX and the customers wants to replace the igx by something else. What is does now is: divide a 2mb / 31 timeslots into 6 timeslots compressed for GSm traffic and 4 timeslots for internetdata and 2 timeslots for multimedia data traffic. the 12 timeslots are linked by satelite to the remote IGX. Now they want to replace the IGX by another peace of equipment that is smaller and easier to transport but that does the same.

I hope someone knows what I need for this.

Thanks, Steve

4 Replies 4

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

The only thing, which is not clear to me is, which format the GSM traffic has. Internet and multimedia is usually transported over IP, so you can use a router with a channelized E1 interface, like the 2600 or 1800 or 2800 series.

Could you use something like voice over ATM to transport it?

Then you can take two routers with an E1 interface each and connect them through the satellite link.

On a second thought: what does the IGX really do for you? Are there different routers and GSM equipment hanging of the IGX, which provides the desired trunking funktionality? Then of course you have to look at all the required interfaces to interconnect the other equipment.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your response.

Well what the IGX does for us now what I would like to replace by something like a router with fractional E1 cards is:

We have a 2MB E1 31 timeslots what the IGX does is crossconnect some timeslots to the E1 going to the PSTN and it gets the internet- and multimedia data on V35 interface and transforms that into some timeslots and crossconnects that to the some timeslots and transports that across the satelite link. So infact it makes sure that all the timeslots available on the satelite link are filled with data as we want it to be filled so 6 timeslots for GSM and 6 timeslots for data and all 12 timeslots are being transported to the remote site where the remote IGX does its work agian.I hope this is clear.

So can this be done without the iGX but by a router using some interface cards like the fractional E1 interface cards. And the PSTN link is on G703 unbalanced and the the interface to the modem is also on G703 unbalanced the internet data must be on Fastethernet.

Hope it's clear now what I would like to do.

Hi,

I don't know what your budget is like but the 7200VXR router with the Mix-Enabled T1/E1 Port Adapters is perfect for your scenario. These cards allow you to combine voice and data on the same E1, and gives you the ability to perform timeslot grooming as well. You can cross-connect timeslots from one port to another.

The only thing is that these cards only offer unbalanced 120-ohm G.703 ports. I guess you could use a balun or something to get around this.

Here are the relevant part numbers:

Cisco 7204VXR

Cisco 7206VXR

PA-MCX-2TE1

PA-MCX-4TE1

PA-MCX-8TE1

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Hello,

In case you need really only two E1, a FastEthernet and a serial interface I would suggest to have a look at the 2800 or 3800 routers. They are delivering all the required interfaces and features including voice with an even smaller form factor and lower pricing than a 7200 router.

Have a look at "Cisco 2800 Series Integrated Services Routers"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016fa68.html

for available interfaces and features.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card