Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

im am novice

hello thr all networking ppl,

actually i am a total stranger to this networking field(my job is of an automation engineer n SCADA programmer) and the question asked by me may seem foolish or stupid to some of you people.

but i am in Urgent need to the solution of the problem posted by me,hope i will get support here

well i have a couple(to be more specific - 2) of Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches(24 ports).We are using them in our network as redundant switches.But we are receiving very slow response between our Clients(for normal computing language they are just a Desktop PC) and Server. i suspect this is something to do with the configuration of the switches. when i ping some IP address(with -t flag) in my network i get some 15-20 replies as "request timed out " and after that i start receiving replies from that IP address,this is happening to all the Computers in my Network. we have only some 12-14 computers connected in the network but then also we are receiving such a slow response. Is the switch misconfigred. I am even unable to give some extra information as i dont know what information to provide.could somebody help me in this matter and ask me to provide some more extra information so that i can give the same in my next reply. hope somebody understands my problem and helps me out as this has become very important and urgent for me

Waiting eagerly for a positive reply from all u experts

Regards

Nilesh Suryarao

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: im am novice

The first thing I would check would be the physical layer cabling. If cabling is good check the switch interface for errors. If not already set hardcode all port speed and duplex settings. Autonegation mismatches are often the cause of poor performance.

Here are some other things to consider?Are the addresses you?re pinging local or remote network addresses? Is there a pattern associated with the dropped packets? In other words does it occur when you ping to a certain address or from a certain PC? Does the problem occur to a group of PCs off of a certain switch? Try to localize or isolate the problem if you can.

HTH,

Ryan

Re: im am novice

hello Ryan

first thing,thank you for your reply

I will check for all the things you have mentioned here,first step the cabling ,but wht to check switch interface for errors(can u get more elaborate). i remember the switch settings that the Port Settings are Auto(i will hardcode them as u have said- tell me will this cause the port or switch to reset or can i do this in Online without affecting the switch operation)

The addresses im pinging are all Local Addresses in the same IP class (Ie class C xxx.xxx.xxx.1 to xxx.xxx.xxx.255).

i will analyze wht u have said - the pattern associated associated with dropped packets but till now according to my observation this is happening with all PC's in the network

i have only two switches ,they act as redundant with redundant NIC's in Each of the PC's

i am looking forward for more reply from ur side

thank you for ur quick and prompt reply

Regards

Nilesh Suryarao

Views
Helpful
Replies