Views
Helpful
Replies

IMIX WAN Throughput Performance Of Cisco 2900 / 3900

ivantsui00
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am interested to know the WAN Throughput Performance of Cisco 2900 / 3900 G2 Routers.

From some cisco offical documentation, it had mentioned the below figures:

=====

The G2 platforms accommodate the following throughput:
• 1941/2910 - up to 25Mbps
• 2911 - up to 35Mbps
• 2921 - up to 50Mbps
• 2951 - up to 75Mbps
• 3925 - up to 100Mbps
• 3945 – up to 150Mbps

=====

But did not mention the above figures are average throughput or maximum throughput.

On other hand, there did not exist any throughput figure for WAN throghput if traffic will be under encryption.

There existed another discussion on https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/344391?tstart=0 with information as:

"With IPSEC/AES we can do 848Mbps on a 3945 and 1400byte packets and the 2900s range from 150-280Mbps or so depending on which 2900."

How 848Mbps is much larger than 150Mbps for 3945?

I am interested on souring some routers on WAN connection with or without IPSec encryption under normal traffic (e.g. IMIX) rather than short or long packets.

Best Regards,

Ivan Tsui

11 Replies 11

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to talk to your cisco partner to access the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/white_paper_c11_595485.pdf

Hi Ivan,

I dont knpw where you got your documentation from but according to router performance comparision document of cisco the ISR G2 3945 supports 982,000 Mpps or 502.78 Mbps.

however these speeds are declared with some conditions in terms of packet size etc.

however datasheet below

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/data_sheet_c78_553924.html

says - The Cisco 3900 Series enables deployment in high-speed WAN environments with concurrent services enabled up to 350 Mbps with full services loaded. i.e security/VPN/IPS/Service Modules etc.

not sure what  James Ng meant when he said 848 Mbps.

However your WAN design Should also include a call to your Local Cisco SE to cross verify facts before you freeze on your design.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Durga Prasad

Thank for those information.

There exist many different information from Internet so make me confuse.

The local SEs mentioned that the throughput of 3945 for non-encrypted traffic is only 150Mbps while under encrypted traffic could be 770Mbps, but without tell us under what packet size and what conditions.   Will this be true?

In older series of 38xx model, we usually cut the throughput of non-encrypted traffic into half for encrypted traffic.   For comparison, we usually measure under IMIX and full service loaded.

The local SEs mentioned that the throughput of 3945 for non-encrypted traffic is only 150Mbps while under encrypted traffic could be 770Mbps

Seems like you got a misinformed SE.

Only consider official written documents as the one that I have linked above.

3945 for non-encrypted traffic is only 150Mbps while under encrypted traffic could be 770Mbps

Encrypted traffic throughput is higher than un-encrypted?  Surely this is not right. 

Please help to release the contents of White Paper.

You should contact your Cisco SE because some of these information requires NDA.

Regards,

jerry

If need to under NDA, this will under certain assumptions and not public information to be used for general undestanding of throughput performance.

This White Paper will be useless in certain cases.  

For example, my Cisco SE said 300Mbpx under large packets (1400bytes) for encrypted traffic while 100Mbps under short packets (64 bytes) for non-encrypted traffic.    Very hard to compare ...

Cisco did not release those performance throughput for a general IMIX environment for easy comparison.    Why?

For example, my Cisco SE said 300Mbpx under large packets (1400bytes) for encrypted traffic while 100Mbps under short packets (64 bytes) for non-encrypted traffic.    Very hard to compare ...

Maybe you can ask your SE for some better info.

Cisco did not release those performance throughput for a general IMIX environment for easy comparison.    Why?

This is the decision of the BU.

Regards,

jerry

Just heard that there exist some HSEC license which may increase the performance.

For example, on 3925 with 100Mbps base throughput.   If have HSEC License, IpSec could increase to 125Mbps or more?

Any one has idea on what is HSEC License?

There is a security bundle called CISCO3925-SEC/K9, but not HSEC.

For the 3845, there is bundle called CISCO3845-HSEC/K9 - Cisco 3845 Security Bundle with IOS Advanced IP  Services Image, AIM-VPN/SSL-3, 128 MB Flash/512 MB DRAM, 25 User SSL  License.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_sheet0900aecd8022e567.html

Regards,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: