Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

increase of IP address

i have subnet of 255.255.255.192 on router.Now i have to change the mask of router as other equipment is to be configured.there are two giga port on router.one port i will configure for mask 255.255.255.224 for LAN, that means only 30 users can access the LAN.other port is for mask 255.255.255.252 for connecting to PIX firewall.My 26 IPs are getting wasted .Now, in future if more users will be added then how to increase the IP

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: increase of IP address

you can have a mask of 255.255.255.224 for connecting pix,but depends on scheme of ip addressing you are following

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a67f5.shtml

Re: increase of IP address

If your link between your router and your PIX is simply a transit network? Are you sure it needs to be visible itself? If not then just make up a network for it. Who cares if it can't be seen externally, its likely that no traffic will be sourced or destined to it anyway?

Put 169.254.0.1/30 and 169.254.0.2/30 on each end of the router-pix interconnect. These are link-local range addresses and should therefore be invisible to any non-connected device. Then you can keep your 62 host addresses. You just need to remember to use valid sources if you need to do any ping diagnostics from these interfaces.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content