Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Inter-Vlan browsing issues

Have vlan1 to vlan5 configured. From VLAN1 I can browse all computers in the domain that are part of inter-vlan with no problem and ping them with name and address fine. However If I am on vlan1 and try to browse computers that are on other vlans in a workgroup, I can not see them. I can connect to them by opening the explorer and type \\computer name\c$ and it shows up in the browser list but once disconnected , it no longer shows in the browsers. Combination of windows XP and 2000. Any input is much appericiated. thanks

5 REPLIES

Re: Inter-Vlan browsing issues

If by "browsing" you mean network neighborhood or my network places in windows, this is not a cisco issue. windows browsing relies on broadcasts and vlans are made to keep broadcasts to their own subnet (broadcast domains). it also works with netbios, so this cannot be blocked either. If you would like for things to work ok in a windows world you must use wins or have a 2003 ad environment that relies and works off of dns. maybe you could give more details if this is not what you are speaking of.

Thank you for your time and reply. We are using Wins and DNS and are able to see all the inter-vlan machines as long as we are on a VLAN1 machine. Once I move to a machine that is not on VLAN1, the browsing problem starts ?

Per windows/cisco vlan/browse logics regarding brodcast you are correct but what is the difference between VLAN1 and VLAN2 ? VLAN1 is seeing everything in the browser list. VLAN3 machines can not see machines on VLAN4, Is it beacuse VLAN1 is the default VLAN and not restricted by broadcast limitation

I think I understand the issue a little better now.

Question then becomes "can VLAN3 and VLAN4" computers communicate in anyway as far as sharing files/folders.

That's because the windows protocol used for browising is not routable. Under the interface vlan 1 which should be the default gateway for the devices/hosts in vlan 1, configure "ip helper-address x.x.x.x" x.x.x.x should be the ip address of the master browser, this is usually the PDC or the WIN server.

Hope that helps.

Please rate helpful posts.

Thank You foir your reply and time. We already had tried the ip helper-addresss "win server" address in the vlan1 interface with no success. We also talked to Cisco and waiting for reply. I would agree with you on your response but somehow it does not work.

One thing I am finding out is in our 3750 switch which does all the routing for all VLANS, There is a command IP domain name our domain name, is there an option to add an IP workgroup name as an additional line as the machines in vlan2,3,4 that we are trying to communicate with are in a workgroup or not a domain ?

Views
Helpful
Replies