cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter VLAN configuration

stonnet72
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to have my switch handle interVLAN communication instead of having my router handle the in flux of packets by setting up sub-if's on the router for the two interfaces I to communicate to and from.

Would this be the correct syntax or command to do so on a 3560 switch:

interface FastEthernet0/1

description "Access Trunk For Both Subnets (192.168.16.0 and 192.168.17.0)

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

!

!

!

!

interface VLAN 2

ip address 192.168.16.2 255.255.255.0

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

interface VLAN 3

192.168.17.2 255.255.255.0

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

ip route 0.0.0.0. 0.0.0.0 192.168.16.1

ip default-gateway 192.168.16.1 (this may not be necessary..is it?)

Please advise.... thanks

5 Replies 5

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

As long as you create the VLANS and add those to the correct port. You're good to go.

you need to enable routing too.

ip routing

in this case ip default-gateway wont be needed.

Check this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a008015f17a.shtml

HTH,

Vlad

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jonathan,

What device is connected on Fa0/1 ?

Make sure ip routing is running on the switch and no you don't need the ip default-gateway since you have the ip default route there.

You just need to have Ip routing enabled on the layer 3 capable switch and it will take care of the inter vlan communication.

Narayan

minumathur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I think cisco 3560 support Layer 3 switching, you need to use routing protocol ( like RIP/OSPF) , need to network broadcast on this protocol, both Vlan able to talk to each other using this, I hope this will solve your problem,

pl. rate this post

-Minu

minu,

Implementing a routing protocol such as RIP or OSPF is not necessary on this case.

The interfaces are locally connected and they will be automatically inserted into the switch routing table if 'ip routing' is enabled.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card