Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-VRF routing.

Hi.

Is there any ways to route between VRFs in one router asaide of using BGP, cross-connecting router physical interfaces or using tunnel interface(which is process-switched)?

3 Replies 3

No. The VRF are totally separated routing instances and unless some particular route leaking you need to consider the VRF like physically separated networks.

HTH

Alessio

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Utair,

you need to run BGP on the router and to have an address family ipv4 vrf name configured for each VRF.

Communication between VRFs can be build by working on route targets.

By adding an import command under VRF-A configuration routes of VRF-B can be imported in VRF-A routing table.

This is called extranet

see this recent thread about a selective extranet using export maps (route-maps used to perform selective route exchanges between two VRFs)

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3703348#3703348

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Problem with BGP is what we plan on using BGP for importing Internet routes from several ISPs and announce them our PI block (primary ISP and several backups).

I wanted to separate LAN routing in VRF and NAT LAN traffic using some internal interface with IP from PI block, so NAT sessions will remain valid on ISP switchover.

Right now i have just cross-connected two interfaces on same router and NATing on LAN VRF side.

I have tried to use loopbacks and gre tunnel technique, but performance degrade awfully.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: