Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Interface Naming Convention

I recently configured a couple of 1841 routers and used SDM instead of doing it manually. I'm a bit confused as to the naming conventions "chosen" by SDM:

The routers each had a 1dsu WIC in slot 0 and a vanilla 1T in slot 1. SDM named them:

Serial0/0/0 (1dsu)

Serial0/1/0 (1T)

I had been expecting Serial0 and Serial1.

I don't intend to change them, but would appreciate an explanation of the logic behind the "selection". (Could not find docs on CCO.)

TIA

4 REPLIES

Re: Interface Naming Convention

Shanky (hope your'e not a golfer), thanks for the helpful reference.

Concluding question:

If I want to define a subinterface on S0/0/0,

Would it be S0/0/1, or S0/0/0.1, or S0/0/0/1 or ???

TIA

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Curt

I was on a logical path to the answer. Sankar found an excellent link which gave a good technical explanation. I believe that the answer to your concluding question is that a subinterface would be s0/0/0.1. (subinterfaces are always a .x of the major physical interface).

I believe that s0/0/1 would be a different physical interface. And s0/0/0/1 is an entity that logically does not exist.

HTH

Rick

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Curt

I do not know that I have ever seen it written anywhere but I believe that the sinmple integer names like serial 0 and serial 1 were developed especially for the fixed configuration routers where the position of the network cards was fixed and permanent. Cisco developed a more complex and sophisticated naming convention especially for routers with card slots where cards can be inserted and removed and moved around, Cisco generally uses names with x/y format so they can identify which slot and which card element.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies