Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Interface Virtual-Access 1

What is an Interface Virtual-Access1? I recently noticed this interface on a 2800 series router after installing a second T1 circuit and creating a Multilink combining both my T1s. I hadn't noticed this interface before. What is its purpose?

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Interface Virtual-Access 1

Comes up cloned from you multilink interface other template. This because you can have multiple VA instances from a same template.

Cisco Employee

Hello,

A Virtual-Access interface is an interface that is cloned (instantiated) from another interface, usually a Virtual-Template or Dialer. The relation between an Virtual-Template or Dialer interface and a Virtual-Access is quite similar to a difference between a class and the object in the object programming paradigm. The Dialer or Virtual-Template interfaces represent a template for creation of individual virtual interfaces. However, these are only templates. Whenever the template should start working as a real interface, it is instantiated into a Virtual-Access interface that is the actual live virtual interface through which packets are processed and routed.

You cannot configure the Virtual-Access interfaces directly. They are not really visible in your configuration and they are created and deleted on the fly. If you need to change the Virtual-Access settings, you always need to change the settings on the template interface from which the Virtual-Access has been cloned. The "show interfaces" will tell you what interface was used as a template for creating the particular Virtual-Access interface.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Your explanation was very helpful.

virtual-template and virtual-access are created at the same time.

virtual-template is function as the interface.

here is my 1 cent...

interface Serial1/0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

shutdown

serial restart-delay 0

frame-relay interface-dlci 103 ppp Virtual-Template1

no clns route-cache

end

r1#sh ip int brief

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

FastEthernet0/0 unassigned YES unset administratively down down