cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internal vs External EIGRP

mpannill
Level 1
Level 1

What makes a route show up as an external eigrp route vs an internal eigrp route other than the obivious; distribution from another routing protocol or another AS? What triggers the external flag?

4 Replies 4

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

External routes are routes learned via redistribution (either from another routing protocol or another AS), and i don't think that there exits another method to trigger the external flag.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Possibility a "circular" answer, but anything the routing protocol considers "external" to its inner workings probably is tagged external. By inner workings, I have in mind having knowledge of the topology and in conjunction some cost metric for that topology.

Something "external" often is information provided to a routing protocol that it couldn't calculate. Your example of redistribution meets this test.

Although you asked about EIGRP, OSPF is a more interesting example because it not only has different external types, but can even tag inter area routes different from "normal" intra area routes.

""distribution from another routing protocol or another AS? What triggers the external flag?""

Both. Redistribution from another AS and another protocol/process would cause the route to show up as an External EIGRP route.

HTH

Sundar

mpannill
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks everyone but I actually figured out what I was missing shortly after I posted this question. I was looking at a couple of route table entries that were showing up as external eigrp routes even though they were in the same AS. I completely missed the "redistribute connected" on one of the routers which explained the external flag.

Thanks,

Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card