Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Internet access to remote LAN

Hi Attached is my network config where i need to give internet access to the LAN A users. At present LAN A users are using oracle on 64K circuit, the oracle server is on LAN B. I am using RIP.

The problem is i can ping every PC in LAN B but not the Internet Router.

i want to know,

why i couldnot ping the internet router's ethernet interface from LAN A.?

What changes is required in ROuter A & Router B's routing.?

Regards

shoeb

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Internet access to remote LAN

First of all, does ur Internet router know how to get to LAN A? Does it have a route to LAN A? You mentioned that u're running RIP btw RTR A & B. But are u also running RIP btw RTR B & RTR Internet?

Make sure RTR Internet knows how to get back to LAN A.

Does the internet router requires a route to LAN A? whatif i put a static route in RTR B

iproute E0

No it does not have route to LAN A? Is this reason i cannot ping internet router ethernet from LAN A ?

There is no RIP between RTR B & RTR internet?

regards

Bronze

Hi

Adding a route on Rtr B doesnt solve the problem. The problem is on ur Internet router, in which it doesn't have a route entry for the LAN A network. The Ping packets successfully reaches ur Internet router, but when ur Internet router tries to reply with icmp echo, it looks up it's routing table and does not find a route entry for LAN A's network address. Therefore, it doesn't know how to route it back to LAN A, and it drops the echo replies.

HTH.

if i am correct, if i add a route in internet router

ip route RTRB E0

this would give the internet access to the LAN A users ?

Bronze

Yes..with this static route pointing to rtr B's int e0 ip address, it will work.

Views
Helpful
Replies