Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet bandwidth Calculation how

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Experts

what happened if every person in  china required an  Internet bandwidth  of 24 Mpbs,  from the ISPs side , is it possible to handle this huge huge amount of Bandwidth for every person ,from where the isp gets big internet pipe , in my contry some i heard some ISPs have 500Mps for 10.000 Subsciber!!

what is the requirement fort that? is there any bandwidth enough to handle those person? or is a special calculation for that,pls Clarify

thanks for time in reply

Jamil

7 Replies 7

Hi Jamil,

Tricky question...

Well, first you can never reach the speed of 24Mbps to your ADSL internet. This is only the theoritical speed. The speed which the router sync is often less than 50% of the theotical max speed.(it depends e,g, from the distance etc)

Moreover, from my experience as a Network Engineer to a large ISP, the customers very often underutilize the links and the peak traffic utilization depends on the peak time which is different for each country.

Finally, I think the bandwidth promised to the customers is similar with the money and the banks...

If all the customers request their moneys from the banks, all the banks have not the money and will bankrupt...the same history applies for the ISP and the "promised" bandwidth for the Internet access

Hi Vasileios

Really i do Appreciate ur reply to my threads every time , thank you dude

Pls can u elaborate on the below

"I Heard some ISPs have 500Mps for 10.000 Subscriber" how commmmmmmmmmme?????

Also Let say  a large ISP has an Internet Speed of OC 12,with 10,000 Clients ,  416 of its clients  require a 24 Mbps Speed , so the wole pipe (OC 12) have gone ,what about the remaing  customers how the ISP will give them bandwidth

how much price  the OC 12 cost?

pls expalin?

thanks

Jamil

Hi Jamil,

You are welcome...it seems that I like the kind of your questions

As I have already mentioned I work to a large Service Provider. As far as I know, there is not any regulatory for the bandwidth size of the internet international "pipes".

The quality of the service (no congestion, packet loss), the strategic plan and bandwidth forecasts define the value for the internet pipe bandwidth for each ISP.

I mean that the customers of the ISP that you described we will face severe delays and this will have a negative impact to the ISP...so the customer can choose a different ISP with higher quality of services.

In short, this is the way that market works (from a more technical prespective...)

Finally, take into consideration that ISP usually have more than one internet pipes to share the traffic...so many medium sized links (e.g. OC 12 as you said) could create a large link...

Hope that helps,

Vasilis

Hi Vasillueas,

Well, first you can never reach the speed of 24Mbps to your ADSL internet. This is only the theoritical speed. The speed which the router sync is often less than 50% of the theotical max speed.(it depends e,g, from the distance etc)

Moreover, from my experience as a Network Engineer to a large ISP, the customers very often underutilize the links and the peak traffic utilization depends on the peak time which is different for each country.

Finally, I think the bandwidth promised to the customers is similar with the money and the banks...

If all the customers request their moneys from the banks, all the banks have not the money and will bankrupt...the same history applies for the ISP and the "promised" bandwidth for the Internet access

I beg to slightly differ here. You can reach ~24Mbps on ADSL2+ ports. Of course distance also needs to be taken into account here. Closer to the exchange ,the better your speeds are. You can have have a 24Mbps pvc from the DSLAM to the BRAS to give the customer that 24Mbps which they want . Of course, these can be expensive business links.

HTH

Kishore

Jamil,

what happened if every person in  china required an  Internet bandwidth  of 24 Mpbs,  from the ISPs side , is it possible to handle this huge huge amount of Bandwidth for every person ,from where the isp gets big internet pipe , in my contry some i heard some ISPs have 500Mps for 10.000 Subsciber!!

what is the requirement fort that? is there any bandwidth enough to handle those person? or is a special calculation for that,pls Clarify

The short answer is Yes and NO, it is possible for every person to get 24Mbps if they have DSLAM's that support ADSL2+ ports and also close to the exchange. Since everyone can't be close to the exchange, not everyone can get 24Mbps.

500Mbps for 10,000 subscribers is called "over subscription ratio". you see not everyone will be using the internet at the same time correct? so what the ISP's do is purchase some bandwidth say 500Mbps and share with 5000 or 10,000 customers. This is how consumers at home get internet for such a low price because they share the bandwidth.

Hope this helps. please feel free to ask more

Kishore

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Ibrahim Jamil wrote:

Hi Experts

thanks for time in reply

Jamil

Jamil.

Bandwidth provisioning for ISP's is based on what is known as "oversubscription' - in otherwords, they sell more bandwidth than they have because they know that the chances of every subscriber being A) online at the same time and B) demanding their entire "theoretical" bandwidth limit are pretty slim.

There are people who figure out the probabilities for this for a living, but I 'aint one of them, thankfully! :-)

The mythical "24 Mb/s" figure that is often touted for ADSL2+ will only ever be obtained by a very small eprcentage of users - you need to be literally less than about 700 meters, cable distance, from the DSLAM, and that doesn't take into account the "upstream" bandwdith - the max download rate is actually only 22 Mb/s.

So it's a juggling act on the part of the ISP concerned - they monitor traffic levels on their backhaul links and backbone links, and when they reach a certain percentage of capacity for long enough in a given period, they'll increase the link capacity (or stop growth in the area until they can) - or they'll put up with customers complaining about crap service andw atch them move to someone else.

Cheers

thanks guys

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card