Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Internet Bandwidth Slicing

Dear All,

We want to provide dedicated internet bandwidth to a few users. We are using 3MB internet circuit and want to dedicate 1MB to 5-10 specific users.

Can someone help me in this regard? How this can be done on a router?

Let me tell you that those users are connected to a local switch on a different floor. Other users are also connected to that switch but they dont need dedicated bandwidth. Let me tell show you our topology.

ISP --> firewal --> internet gateway --> Core Switch --> local switch (different floor)

Any help in this matter is requested. Thanks in advance.

-Jay

3 REPLIES

Re: Internet Bandwidth Slicing

Hi Jay

Assign a seperate small block for the users who require dedicated internet access and do a natting with the public ip based on which you can do rate limit.

The rate limit has to be done in a such a way that you ISP is also required to do the same at their end so that u will get 1Mbps dedicated for those users on both up/down.

Would also like to know whats that internet gateway before firewall ???

dont you have a router in this scenario ???

regds

A seperate DHCP pool can be created for those who need a dedicated bandwidth. At the internet gateway you can provide a Rate Limit and a burst value for the respective pool. This will dedicate the bandwidth for the given users. The Local switch which is connected to the core, at this port a seperate Vlan is configured.

The internet gateway is Cisco 2811 router.

The situation is a little more complex. There are many local switches and all the users are on different switches. There is just one backbone to that floor which eventually connects the floor to the core. I think creating a different VLAN and DHCP sounds a little do-able in my case. Anyways, thanks for your help you both.

I will try this and then definetly let you know whether it worked or not. Thanks again.

-Jay

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content