Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet Fail-over

Anukalp S
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I need someone to help me out on finding solution. Let me explain my network scenario.. I have a core switch connecting to internet ASA and MPLS router.

My primary internet route is through ASA(using default route). When internet circuit goes down i have to remove default router towards ASA and route it through MPLS router so that internet could work over MPLS through my hub site internet connection. But i want to remove this manual failover & i want to configure this in the way if my primary internet goes down, internet traffic automatic get routed towards MPLS router. I tried this configuring track but it is not going to work as which ip should track monitor. Internet SP end router ip still be reachable when internet circuit goes down, only connectivity over internet become unreachable.

Pls help here.

Untitled.png

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not understand your explanation of why using track did not work. Assuming that you are not running a dynamic routing protocol through the ASA I do not know of any way to automate the failover other than track. It should be possible to configure track, to assure that the tracking packets are only forwarded to the ASA, and to detect when the Internet link through the ASA is not working.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hello

How are.you using tracking? Are you incorperating ip sla also?

Can you post your tracking config

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

hancorp
Level 1
Level 1

You're missing one thing. You need to add a static host route for the ip you're tracking to alway point it out your internet primary path

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Ji-Won Park
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Anukalp,

I understand what you are trying to achieve here. I've deployed this internet failover using ip sla many times. Here's your configuration template:

-Core-

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 'ASA GW' 1 track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 'MPLS RTR GW' 10

ip sla 100

icmp-echo 8.8.8.8 source-interface 'Interface connected to ASA'

frequency 10

ip sla schedule 100 life forever start-time now

track 1 rtr 100 reachability

-Verify your IP SLA-

show ip sla statisctics 100

Your primary default route with AD 1 will track 1 that's checking your IP SLA 100 reachability. When 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) is unreachable, your primary default route will be replaced with your secondary default route.

Hope this helps.

JP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card