Helpful
Replies

internet failover setup

vicky.dhas
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends ,

Please give your solution

I have mpls-vpn connection and internet connection from same service provider.Both links are terminated on the same router.

Inerface hand off is Ethernet in both cases

Now I want to configure a seperate Internet access using same vpn last mile but which should act as a back up for my existing internet connection.Service provider can deliver internet and mpls vpn using same last mile(different VLAN+VRF configuration).What are the configuration changes need to be done for this set up.

do i need to run dynamic routing protocol to configure fail over?

any other option without using dynamic protocol

pl suggest.

thanks

2 Replies 2

syed.raza
Level 1
Level 1

what you need to learn is floating static routes and how they are binded with IPSLA/SAA objects.

what you need to do is create static default routes pointing to differnet outgoing interfaces and to add automation and intelligence use IPSLA/SAA.

Hope this help.

If you can share your configs i can be a bit precise.

Regards

Syed

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you can use two default static routes ( if you are using it already ) but with IPSLA tracking

for example

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 IS1!_NEXT_HOP track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP2_NEXT_HOP  10 -- with higher metric

now if the track has been configured for example to pin ISP 1 every 30 seconds once the ping fail for exampel for 3 attempts the first default route will disapear forom therouteing table and the next one with higher metric will take effect using the other link next hop

also the bellow document has some examples and tricks might help you to configure it

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8313

good luck

if helpful Rate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card