Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Internet Routing with Catalyst 3550, also, using Apples as Oranges

Hi Guys,

Wherever possible I try to use the right tool for the job, however sometimes we are required to use the wrong tool for a variety of reason.

I've been given a Catalyst 3550 to use for a newly provisioned ethernet-terminated internet service, and been given the public IP for the service (let's say 202.202.202.10). I need to essentially use the switch as a 24 FE port router, so I've tried the following with no dice;

1) New VLAN 202, new interface vlan202 with IP 202.202.202.10, switchport access vlan202 on FastEthernet 0/1, static route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 to that VLAN interface. Can't ping from switch to internet.

2) "no switchport" on the port and give it the ip directly, add static route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 via fastethernet 0/1, also not able to ping internet from switch.

Any pointers guys? how do I go about this...

3 REPLIES

Re: Internet Routing with Catalyst 3550, also, using Apples as O

Hi

Can you check the sh ip route in ur switch ?

Hi Chintu,

I've just found out that this model switch doesn't support NAT, so I think I am going to have to find another way around. Thanks for the reply anyway :)

I hope this time you get the right device to go ahead with.

Secondly I really couldnt understand why on this earth somebody would have a 24 Port Router for Internet (for most of the medium sized companies). However I guess the guy must have thought to replace a Router,FW and a Switch all in one, by a 3550-24T providing kinda all.

Anyways, I hope this time you dont get into a situation like this.

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content