cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

interVlan

korbenda11as
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone who can teach me how to do interVlan on Cat6506. Also, i want to trunk cat6506 to 3560 what cable will i use? I tried connecting their interfaces using cross cable, however, when i tried to configure the port say g2/41 of 6506 i received error message "the port doesnt support trunking". can anyone teach me what to do?

7 Replies 7

nordick26
Level 1
Level 1

Are your 6509 on CatOS or IOS?

For IOS, there is routing enabled so you should make your port L2:

int g2/41

switchport

and now you can begin with your trunking conf:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan X,Y,Z

To make this router able to route between vlans, you'll need to create SVI:

int vlan x

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

int vlan y

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

and so on

these addresses should then be configures as default gateways for users, e.g. ip from SVI of vlan x for users from vlan x.

HTH

Regards

Ivan

[rate any helpful posts]

thanks! Ivan appreciate it...

Is the ip address that i will assign to the vlan x,y,z should be within the ip range of the ports assigned to that vlan? or i can assigned othe ip address? thanks

so the cable that i will use to trunk to other switches will be cross-cable?

do i need to configure the switch as "vtp mode transparent"?

Hi

1) Any server/client pc/printer etc. that is put into a vlan needs to use an ip address from that vlan eg.

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0

So any machines placed into vlan 10 need to use an ip address from the 192.168.5.0/24 subnet. Also their default-gateway would be set the L3 SVI ip address, in this case 192.168.5.1

2) Up to you as far as the VTP mode. If you put it into VTP transparent mode then you will have to create any new vlans on that switch, in addition to which that vlan information will not get propogated to any other switches.

The other way to do it is to make your 6500 a VTP server and any other switches VTP clients.

3) If you are using an RJ45 cable it needs to be a crossover cable.

Jon

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card