Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IOS filesystem

Hello all,

I am somewhat new to configuring Cisco products, in fact I am still preparing to take the CCNA exam, so forgive me for my ignorance in this question, but I am unable to find and answer.  I recently purchased a 1760 and 1760-v router running IOS ver 12.4(15)T with image c1700.adventerprisek9.mx.124-15T, and I have been experimenting with various Cisco phones.  I have been able to get most of them working but in the process of configuring the 7960 I ran into the problem of being unable to issue the mkdir command to create a directory in flash.  Turns out that I am running a Class B flash file system.  My question is how do i convert it to a Class C flash file system.  I am under the impression it can be done because the 7970 admin guide says that some commands like mkdir may not be available in certain IOS's in which case convert to a Class C file system.   The format flash: command currently does not work for me.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, and once again I am sorry for my ignorance in this matter.

Thanks

-Jeff

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: IOS filesystem

Hello Jeff,

if this is a home lab you can think of using a PC based TFTP server: on the C1760 DCHP pool you can use option 150 to indicate a TFTP server this quite common in CUCM deployments.

See this example we used for a branch

ip dhcp pool VOICE

network 10.110.224.144 255.255.255.248

default-router 10.110.224.145

dns-server 10.98.112.32 10.55.0.32

netbios-name-server 10.52.64.37 10.24.128.151

option 150 ip 10.98.67.5 10.55.61.4

lease 0 1

option 150 points to the TFTP servers that in our case are part of a CCM cluster.

To know if this is compatible with CME on your router you can put a question in the IP telephony forum.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

6 REPLIES

Giuseppe,

Thank you very much for the fast response.  I followed your instructions and read throught the pdf link.  After erasing flash: and squeezing flash: I restarted the router and using tftpdnld I reloaded the IOS image, however I am still unable to issue an mkdir command to create a directory in flash:  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong or is it just not possible to create a directory on the 1760?

Many Thanks

-Jeff

Hello Jeffrey,

I may be wrong but I'm afraid that the procedure is valid only for the 3600 platform: generally as explained in the link a router or switch platform has a specific filesystem and stays with it all the time.

The c3600 is mentioned there as a special case of a device capable to migrate to another filesystem.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

Thank you very much for your help, I think my suspicions have been confirmed that the class C filesystem commands that have been activated in the 1760 are too limited for my needs (not being able to make directories in the flash:).  At this point I think I will have to upgrade to a 2801 router with the native class C flash filesystem.  Thank you again for your help.

Many Thanks

-Jeff

Hello Jeff,

if this is a home lab you can think of using a PC based TFTP server: on the C1760 DCHP pool you can use option 150 to indicate a TFTP server this quite common in CUCM deployments.

See this example we used for a branch

ip dhcp pool VOICE

network 10.110.224.144 255.255.255.248

default-router 10.110.224.145

dns-server 10.98.112.32 10.55.0.32

netbios-name-server 10.52.64.37 10.24.128.151

option 150 ip 10.98.67.5 10.55.61.4

lease 0 1

option 150 points to the TFTP servers that in our case are part of a CCM cluster.

To know if this is compatible with CME on your router you can put a question in the IP telephony forum.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

Thank you very much for the help.  This was a home lab so I took your advice and set up a computer just for TFTP access and the backgrounds are working great.

Thank you very much

-Jeff

Views
Helpful
Replies