cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ios image file name extension

gmittal.82
Level 1
Level 1

i am facing a problem... the file extension of the ios iamge keeps changing from .bin to .pri... i have installed a new ios image also but the same problem is there... but the router is working fine with no problems... what really can be the problem.

5 Replies 5

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Can you revert back with the ios filename which you are using over there ?

regds

Gaurav

The name of the image file and the file extension are not significant as far as the router being able to run the image. If you are downloading an image file you are prompted for the source file name and prompted for the destination file name. Usually the destination file name is left the same as the source file name. But if the image is loaded with a different file name (or different extension) for some reason, that will not prevent the router from being able to run it. If the image with the different name is the only image in flash the router will run it by default. if the image is not the only one in flash then you would need boot system commands to boot the image. But if the boot system commands use the changed name of the file then the router will boot just fine.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks for the reply..

but i am not able to transfer the file on a tftp server with .pri extenison.

how to solve this deadlock.

Hi,

Could you explain more on the problem that you are facing while transfering a file( .pri ext) from tftp server?

From where are trying to pull the file from the tftp server?

What are the commands that you used?

Did you got any error message?

Did you got any log messages in the TFTP server to trace the problem?

If your TFTP server is on a windows os, check the name of the file from the dos prompt, to see the exact extension. Sometimes when the hide file extension option is set in windows, you wont see the full name of the file through windows explorer.

-VJ

I am not clear whether the problem is on the router (difficulty in transfering the image to the router or difficulty in running the image) or if the problem is on the TFTP server. Perhaps Gaurav can clarify this.

If it is a problem on the TFTP server then perhaps Gaurav can help us understand what is happening. As VJ asks it would be very helpful to know exactly what commands are entered, what responses are generated, and whether there are any error messages and if so where do they show up.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card