when I installed on my 1721 router

I had an error cause of insufficent memory

how can I install this version on 1721?

4 Replies 4

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

Can you paste the show version output of 1721 router.

Before installing IOS , check the flash size and the ios size which you are going to install.

Thanks,

satish

Hello

I had the same problem but reveid the answer from an other forum poster, see link

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddd54b7

Don't forget that an IOS can fit in flash but it will be "extracted" in dram.

Ciao

Fred

Emed,

If I encounter the above said memory issue I used to rename the existing IOS image to the one which you are going to copy.

Lets say,

Current existing IOS image in your router is : abcd.bin

New IOS Image which you are going to update in your router is : xyz.bin

Now, rename abcd.bin as xyz.bin using the command rename abcd.bin xyz.bin

Router # rename abcd.bin xyz.bin

Now copy the new IOS in the usual manner and this should be fine. This works fine for me and only precaution which you need to take is, understand what I mean to say and go ahead.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks

Rajesh

Fred

Without some specifics about how much memory the 1721 has and what feature set is being loaded, we can not say for certain that it is the same problem. But it certainly does sound like the same problem. And the solutions are either install additional memory or choose an IOS version and feature set that will fit within the available memory.

And it is an important point that the IOS may fit in flash ok, but not fit into memory when extracted.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card