Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Support for RFC 3973 (PIM-DM)

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Appreciate if one of the Cisco insiders could respond to this.

I'm interested in determining which version of PIM-DM is supported by IOS ... I can't seem to find anything stating that RFC3972 is supported. If not, which IETF draft is the latest supported in IOS ?

Thanks,

Paresh

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.1 T supports PIM-DM.

The following URL provides the details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1834/products_feature_guide09186a00800805ab.html#1019837

Thanks mate, but that was not really my question. I was interested in finding out whether RFC3973 is supported. The Cisco IOS has supported PIM-DM for some time but it has undergone various incarnations in terms of IETF drafts - I wanted to know whether the latest RFC on it is supported.

Thanks anyway.

Paresh

Paresh,

Are you looking for some features in particular that were introduced via RFC3973?

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks for responding, Harold.

There were a few changes in the RFC and the drafts leading up to it, such as:

- the use of the Assert mechanism on p2p links, which was restricted to multiaccess segments in older drafts

- the use of prune rate-limiting on multiaccess segments, which was restricted to p2p links in older drafts

I just wanted to know what was the last draft that was implemented by Cisco.

I have subsequently received some info from a Cisco employee (who is on the IETF PIM mailing lists) who has advised that Cisco is no longer introducing any new features to PIM-DM (which is probably quite reasonable since PIM-SM is the preferred approach now).

Cheers,

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card