Helpful
Replies

IOS upgrade and memory issues

rsd1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having problems upgrading the IOS on my 2600 router. My problem is :

Currently I have a 2600 with 16mb on board SIMM memory and 32 Mb DRAM. I am looking to upgrade to the latest 12.3 IOS and have therefore bought and installed 32Mb of SIMM.

However when I try to install the IOS it fails and it seems that the router is not using the additional memory I have installed. If I try an IOS smaller than 16Mb ( i.e. onboard SIMM memory ) it works well but if I try to load the new IOS which is just short of 17MB it fails.

What am I doing wrong ? Do I have to issue some commands that instructs the router to load the image on the 32MB simm ?

n.b. when I check in sh ver it shows I have 48Mb installed (16 + 32 ) so I am confident the new memory is good.

I have also swapped out the 32Mb simm out so as to confirm that the ios's are loaded on to the onboard memory and not the new.

How do I force the router to use the extra memory ?

many thanks

Richard

1 Reply 1

rsd1234
Level 1
Level 1

I forget to mention that the router is a 2620xm and I am upgrading from the ios that was shipped with the router - 12.2(8),

cheers

Richard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card