Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade on Cisco 3662 Problems

We have planned to upgrade our core 3662 ISR to IDS/FW/3DES software. We have purchased 256MB of RAM and 64MB of Flash as per recommendation of our dealer.

Since the flash is empty, the router is thrown into ROMMON and complains about a valid magic number. I could not figure out a way to load the IOS through ROMMON on the 3662 - I don't seem to be able to TFTP it or anything like that, so I resorted to XMODEM... It uploads the image and then gives me an error and quits, here is the error:

---------------------------------------

rommon 1 > xmodem -c c3660-i-mz.123-17a.bin

Do not start the sending program yet...

device does not contain a valid magic number

dir: cannot open device "flash:"

WARNING: All existing data in flash will be lost!

Invoke this application only for disaster recovery.

Do you wish to continue? y/n [n]: y

Ready to receive file c3660-i-mz.123-17a.bin ...

Starting xmodem transfer. Press Ctrl+C to cancel.

Transferring c3660-i-mz.123-17a.bin...

100% 8580 KB 4 KB/s 00:32:34 2 Errors

100% 8580 KB 4 KB/s 00:32:34 2 Errors

Erasing flash at 0x30000000sector erase failed at location 0x30000000, status 0x20202020

flash sector will NOT erase...aborting

rommon 2 >

---------------------------------------

*I am uploading the IP feature set because it's much smaller than the FW/IDS/3DES software and is used for booting up the system at least.

So am I doing something wrong, or has Cisco shipped me defective FLASH?

2 Replies 2

Hello,

it might very well be a hardware problem with the flash. Try and reseat the flash modules. I am not sure if the ROMMON let´s you do that, but you could try and format the flash.

It could also be a problem with the IOS itself, try to download it again and install the new copy...

Regards,

GP

pdlitzel
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever resolve this? I have exactly the same issues with 2 3662 routers, same IOS, memory, etc. Same error message.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card