Views
Helpful
Replies

IP address design for router network

pllim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I will be setting up the network in the attachment and would appreciate very much if I can get some comments on the IP addressing.

i would also like to know if Router C in the attachment can be replaced with a Layer2 Switch since it only needs to provide 3 ethernet ports.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

branfarm1
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Normally I would use /30 networks for point-to-point links between devices. As for RouterC, you could replace it with a layer2 switch if you wanted one interface from RouterB, RouterD, and RouterE to be in the same subnet, and didn't need any of logical separation that the router would provide. It also really depends on your physical topology and what types of links you will be using between the routers. If you're using ethernet, as mentioned in the post, then a layer 2 switch would work, with the stipulation that each interface from the routers would need to be configured in the same subnet.

HTH,

Brandon

If I replace Router C with a layer2 switch (assuming same subnet), will I have problem with voice quality later on. FYI, Router A is generating voice traffic to Router E and Router B is generating voice traffic to Router D.

I would think not

as a switch would have less overhead and could switch frames faster than a router could switch packets

If you're going to support voice, then it might be wise if you're going to use a L2 switch, to obtain one that also supports CoS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card