Views
Helpful
Replies

IP dampening

ikizoo4
Level 1
Level 1

Dears

when a route flaps 3times in 30 sec period then suppressed from routng table.

how do i configure dampening about this?

thanks

4 Replies 4

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

it is not at all possible to do it 30 secs as dampening works from minimum 1 min. best thing would be to leave it at default policies. This is sprint's implementation

http://www.sprint.net/policy/bgpdamp.html

HTH

Hello,

if you are referring to IP Event Dampening, according to my calculations, the following values would apply:

dampening 30 3000 1000 120

A penalty of 1000 is applied each time the interface flaps, so you will need 3 flaps, or a penalty of 3000, for the interface to be dampened. The half-life is set to 30, which means that the penalty of 3000 can be accumulated during 30 seconds, after which the accumulated penalty decreases by half. The reuse-threshold (1000) and the max-suppress time (120 seconds) values are arbitrary, you might want to change those, if required.

Can you try and see if this works for you ?

Regards,

GP

Hi folks

thanks for sincere responding..

GP, I thought just like your numbers in the first place, but it didn't work coz when second flap happen after 10sec later of first one, accumulated penalty goes to 1600 or something its not 2000 that means accumulated pernalty is decreasing every moment(mili second or somthing) its not like wait untill 30 seconds and cut to the hlaf... I think this is more complicated than what we think.

On another conversation on netpro I saw that someone referenced to RIPE-229 they say that in there they show you how to "do the maths" but i saw the document and couldn't figure it out.... the most I did where some calculations in Excel, and what I saw is that if you use the command with just a 15 (dampening 15) then the interface would be dampened if it flapped at least 3 times during a 30 second period, but I'm not sure, so let me know if you find any usefull links on the web.

Regards,

Luis

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card