Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ip default-network

I am confused as to when I need to use ip default-network. Wouldn't "ip route" with "ip classless" work just as well?

• WAN Routing and Switching
2 REPLIES

Re: ip default-network

Hi,

The (IP Default-Network) command is very rarly used, I havent seen yet some one using this currently.

1st: it requires IP routing to be enabled.

2nd: when uses this command within RIP domain it creates a RIP default route without using (redistribute static) command under RIP protocol.

3rd: it does add another static-route for the major Network of the Next-hop address, which in most of the cases makes some problems.

4th: ( ISIS - OSPF ) protocols doesn't recognize this command.

5th: It does require (IP Routing) to be enabled.

Summary:

Its with no doubt using a Static-default route is common & always used, comparing with the command (IP default-network).

Regards,

Mohamed Sobair

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: ip default-network

ip default-network is just another option for a gateway of last-resort. I would compare it with an ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 gateway.

ip classless is a different animal. That command allows the software to forward packets that are destined for unrecognized subnets of directly connected networks.

If you want to remove more about ip default-network, please check out this link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cr/hirp_r/rte_pih.htm#wp1122621

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.