Views
Helpful
Replies

IP over E1 with Drop and Insert

bartekgola
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post. If there is some more suitable group please let me know.

I am looking for a E1 based device and I wonder if Cisco has a product which could meet my needs.

Here's what I need. I want to connect 2 E1 links to a standard PC (running Windows XP). Then I want to define several IP interfaces based on a number of chosen timeslots (say 192.168.1.1 is based on timeslot 1, 2 and 3; 192.168.1.2 is based on timeslot 3, 4 and 5; it should be also possible to assign different set of timeslots to an individual interface depending on the communication direction). And finally all the remaining timeslots (i.e. not used by this particular PC) should be forwarded to the other E1 link (both directions) (as far as I know this is called "Drop and Insert").

Protocol stack looks like on the following diagram:

IP

Frame Relay

G.704 clause 5.2

G.703 clause 9 (E1)

Can you recommend a device which I could use in the described scenario? Hope you can help me find the right solution.

Thanks in advance,

Bartlomiej Gola

2 Replies 2

wochanda
Level 4
Level 4

Check out the VWIC2-2MFT-TE1:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2617/products_configuration_example09186a008052c920.shtml

It supports configuring different IP addresses on different timeslots (with different encapsulations), as well as Drop & Insert.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Does it mean that to use VWIC2-2MFT-G703 card I need to also get (for instance) 1760 Modular Access Router?

Would it be possible with such a configuration to setup:

- say 8 PVCs/IP addresses

- 4 of them on the 1st E1 link, another 4 on the second link

- each PVC/IP Address would have 3 timeslots assigned

- all the other timeslots (31 - 8 * 3 = 7) would be switched from the 1st link to the other both directions (drop and insert)?

Best regards,

Bartek

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card