Helpful
Replies

ip route is not working

choi.daisung
Level 1
Level 1

1.png

Hi fellas,

I just configured ip route and I can't ping from host to AboveNet. the diagram is like,

Host - Router - AboveNet

Network for host-Router is 209.249.194.32/27 and Router-AboveNet is 64.125.71.0/30 and please check the output below,

S*    0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via 64.125.71.1

*.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks

C        *.125.71.0/30 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/2

L        *.125.71.2/32 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/2

**.249.194.0/24 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks

C        **.249.194.32/27 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/1

L        **.249.194.33/32 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/1

and below is my configuration.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 *.125.71.1

I spent more than 5 hours solving this simple problem. Please mercy on me. Thanks,

22 Replies 22

I am having some difficulty relating what is in this post to your earlier description of the environment since the IP addressing does not match up. But there may be an indication of the problem in what you have posted. These configs show dynamic address translation/PAT being done. One common result of address translation/PAT is that devices inside can send packets to outside and receive responses while devices from outside are not able to initiate traffic to devices inside.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick

"These configs show dynamic address translation/PAT being done. One common result of address translation/PAT is that devices inside can send packets to outside and receive responses while devices from outside are not able to initiate traffic to devices inside."

I think that is the problem, so how to fix it.

Best Regards

ART

If you want devices from outside to be able to initiate traffic to devices on inside then you need to provide some static address translation.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Dear Rich

As you said: "These configs show dynamic address translation/PAT being done. One common result of address translation/PAT is that devices inside can send packets to outside and receive responses while devices from outside are not able to initiate traffic to devices inside."

Could you please explain why from the Router0 I can ping to LAN1 if PAT block inbound traffic?

Best Regards

ART

Here is the config that you posted. On this router interface there is not PAT configured

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.425
description CLIENT425
encapsulation dot1Q 425
ip address 187.251.116.121 255.255.255.252
ip flow monitor MONITOR_CLIENT425 input
ip flow ingress
ip flow egress
service-policy input CLIENT425_5Mbps
service-policy output CLIENT425_5Mbps

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Dear Rick

So based on your last post what suppose to be done.

Best Regards

ART

If you have address translation on the outside interface and if you want the hosts inside to be reachable from outside then you need static translations for each inside host that should be reachable from outside.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

daisungchoi
Level 1
Level 1

The ISP said I should use LX or ZX module to connect to their router and it is working now.

It was not a ip route or any other configuration problem.

Any way, thank you Rick! You were very helpful.

By the way, how can i close this case?

Dai

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco