Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Routing and Subnetting

jaleach
Level 1
Level 1

I wonder if I can grab some advice..

I work on a small network of around 120 users and 30-odd servers spread across 30 switches (made up of a 5-switch 3750 stack, a 3550 acting as a fibre-optic relay and the rest are 2950s and 2970s).

Currently the entire network is run from a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 and a network address of 191.168.0.0.

Unfortunatly this doesn't help User Tracking work in LMS so I'm trying to put a plan together to break the network down into smaller subnets (ie 191.168.1.1 , 191.168.1.2 and so on) - however I don't want to impliment VLANS.

My problem comes when looking at setting up the routing - without using inter-vlan routing, can I setup multiple interfaces on a single VLAN on the 3750??

Thanks in Advance..

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

You could certainly have secondary interfaces configured on a single VLAN interface on the 3750. However, this would not be very efficient. It's probably better for you to split the network up into VLANs for the long run.

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

Thanks - it's not very efficient but I'm trying to avoid the admin overhead and configuration overhead produced by VLANs.

Thanks again.

You want to segment your large network with out vlans. All you need is a layer3 switch or a router with a routing ethernet port for each network. Use it to route between the networks. Your equipment overhead will be higher( cost of the l3 switch or a router with enough ethernet ports) and the managment overhead will not be much less that the vlan settup. I believe you can use your current equipment if you use vlans to sement the network.

Gene

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card