cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

'ip routing' command on a layer 2 switch

amai_yuki
Level 1
Level 1

our company is currently converting multiple branches to cisco devices. I got a little problem on one of the switch(3750), I can telnet and ping the switch from the router, but not from the management PC, when I compare the basic config handed by our ISP on two switches, I found the 'ip routing' command is configured on the switch in problem, after this command removed, everything works fine. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me how/why this command causes the above problem.

appreciate your help!

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Amai

Based on your description of the problem I am guessing that the switch was configured with ip default-gateway. This works on layer 2 devices to define the default gateway which the device will use to get to any remote destination. However if ip routing is enabled then the device is operating as a layer 3 device and will not use the default-gateway. As a layer 3 device it would need dynamic routes from a routing protocol, or static routes (including a configured default route) to get to remote destinations.

While the ip default-gateway will be retained in the configuration the only time that it will be used is when ip routing is disabled.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

OR

1. enable ip routing

2. configure ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 instead of ip default-gateway

basically it's a router without any ip routing protocols enabled.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card