Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP routing

bit confused about the ip routing.

here it goes, IF I have eigrp on my rouert and id i put one statice route on the same router then , rtr will take static route first. But if that interface goes down then does eigrp route the traffice thro' other interface!!!

thanks in advance.

Nil

2 REPLIES
Purple

Re: IP routing

Hi,

When a Cisco router has multiple routes for the same destination, it uses the concept of Administrative Distance (AD) as a measure of believability of the route. A lower AD is considered to be better.

By default, static routes will have an AD of 1 and will be used in preference to EIGRP routes, which have an AD of 90 (they could also have an AD of 5 for summary routes and an AD of 170 for external routes).

You can give a static route a higher AD to make it less preferable. For example, to give a static route an AD of 200, you could do:

ip route 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 serial0 200

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Re: IP routing

Hello,

The static route by default will take precedence over the EIGRP learned routes. However, if the static route points to an IP and there exists a recursive route to the destination address the static route will remain in the table.

If you specify the static route with an interface and IP address - then when the interface goes down - the route is removed from the table.

i.e.

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 FastEthernt 0/4 192.168.1.1

Hope this helps.

Regards,

James

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content