cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip sla icmp-echo fail on 3 consecutive ping fails...

will
Level 3
Level 3

I am having trouble understanding how ip sla works to control fail (drop track) only if i fail 3 consecutive ping tests. right now it looks like it fails immediately on 1 missed ping. the threshold command is also confusing.

track 202 ip sla 202 reachability

ip sla 202

icmp-echo 1.1.1.97 source-ip 1.1.1.98

request-data-size 64

threshold 1000
timeout 3000
frequency 10

ip sla schedule 202 life forever start-time now

this runs every 10 seconds and waits for ping response for 3 seconds. the threshold command does something probably entirely different. what i really want is to configure it to fail only if it drops 3 consecutive 10 seconds pings (> 30 second outage).

Any ideas? thx much in advance.

Will

3 Replies 3

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

explained here:https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2092058

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Alain,

I have the exact same question as the original poster, but when I click on your link, I get a page that says "The page you are trying to access was not found. Please check your URL for typos and try again." - Sadly, this isn't really a helpful answer, and given that this is the first result returned by Google for this question, it would be really nice if you had instead taken the time to actually answer the question, or even copy/paste the answer, instead of an unreliable link.

aherrima
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm replying to this thread because it is one of the first hits on Google depending on what is used for keyword search. For this scenario, this would be the appropriate configuration with the addition of a delayed down event for the tracked object. 

ip sla 202

icmp-echo 1.1.1.97 source-ip 1.1.1.98

request-data-size 64

threshold 1000
timeout 3000
frequency 10

ip sla schedule 202 life forever start-time now

track 202 ip sla 202 reachability

delay down 30 

Adding "delay down 30" to the track objects allow 3 ICMP packets to be set at a frequency of 10 seconds within a 30 seconds window. Threshold is used separately and can be used to trigger other events when it is crossed such as an SNMP trap to a data center NOC... etc. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: