Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA or script plus general questions

jacob6000
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

When you configure the IP SLA echo command, does it ping just once? I need to be able to ping my two remote routers (branches) with 20 pings every 15 minutes. If I lose any pings, even one, that is usually a sign that there are enough issues on the line to affect voice quality or transferring of calls. Our Call Manager resides at our main site. Can this type of test be accomplished with IP SLA or would an external script be a better solution.

I do see several examples of using ICMP but not how to specify a quantity of pings and then take an action (Syslog or snmp) based on missing X number of pings. Any examples or recommendations for using IP SLA to monitor voice quality (choppy calls) would be useful as well. Any help/education would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,                  

2 Replies 2

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jacob

you can set the Frequency x command to set the rate at which the echo operation occurs.

ip sla monitor 1

type echo protocol ....

Frequency x

icmp echo checks the reachability of you specified destination and in a timely manner, for voice quality (if u r concerned) and packet loss you could configure a Jitter SLA.

to cause a SNMP trap to be sent (you have to configure snmp settings), you can use the following commands:

ip sla reaction-configuration 1 react rtt threshold-value [values] threshold-type immediate action-type trap-only

snmp-server enable trap rtr

now if the round trip time violates the threshold value set above, it will trigger a snmp trap.

you could find different options and approaches using the references below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/ip_sla/configuration/guide/hsicmp.html#wp1049823

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/ip_sla/configuration/guide/hsthresh.html#wp1082269

Hope it Helps,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Thanks Soroush. This is a good start but not exactly what I need. The frequency will only adjust how often the operation occurs.

I need 20 pings per operation and I need the operation to occur every 15 minutes. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card