Views
Helpful
Replies

ip verify unicast source reachable-via rx For BGP

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi all,

i've ran into an issue on one of our EBGP peer and discovered the command "ip verify unicast source reachable-via rx" blocked their incoming traffic when their prefix is not advertised to us.

#sh run int vl473

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 257 bytes

!

interface Vlan473

ip address 203.x.x.x 255.255.255.252

ip verify unicast source reachable-via rx   >>>

ip flow ingress

service-policy input INGRESS-45M

service-policy output EGRESS-45M

end

i've found the link below but i would appreciate if someone could explain it how it relates to BGP. thanks in advance!

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/security/intelligence/unicast-rpf.html

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

I do not believe that Reverse Path Forwarding check relates specifically to BGP. What it does is to make sure that packets received on an interface are not "spoofed" and it does this by checking to see if the path to the source address does use this interface as the way to get to that source network. From what you are describing the source address of the BGP peer is through that interface but not in the connected subnet. Is that correct?

So what is happening seems to be that the RPF check is denying their traffic when their prefix is not advertised to you. And if their traffic is being denied then they can not establish the neighbor relationship that is necessary to advertise their prefix to you.

In most implementations of RFP there is an option to use an access list in the command. The access list gives exceptions which should be allowed even if they fail the RPF check. That would seem to be the best solution if it is available in your version of code.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

I do not believe that Reverse Path Forwarding check relates specifically to BGP. What it does is to make sure that packets received on an interface are not "spoofed" and it does this by checking to see if the path to the source address does use this interface as the way to get to that source network. From what you are describing the source address of the BGP peer is through that interface but not in the connected subnet. Is that correct?

So what is happening seems to be that the RPF check is denying their traffic when their prefix is not advertised to you. And if their traffic is being denied then they can not establish the neighbor relationship that is necessary to advertise their prefix to you.

In most implementations of RFP there is an option to use an access list in the command. The access list gives exceptions which should be allowed even if they fail the RPF check. That would seem to be the best solution if it is available in your version of code.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi rick,

thanks for your feedback! yes, what you've described is exactly correct.

i also believe it has nothing to do with BGP. probably this command line is some sort of anti-spoof or security feature.

i'll consider tagging an ACL for this.

Allow ip or just icmp  from your source address,  create a acl as Richard suggests.

access-list 101 permit ip ( source ip + wildcard mask ) any

or

access-list 101 permit icmp ( source ip + wildcard mask ) any

interface Vlan473

ip verify unicast source reachable rx 101

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: