Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS 4240 on the Internet edge with the ASA 5520

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Guys

Pls can u help me to setup the Physical connectively of IPS 4240 on the Internet edge with  the ASA 5520 ,Pls how the topology will be

Pls Have a look to the attached Topoogy,if this a good design with IPS Appliance at nternet Edge

thanks

9 Replies 9

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

While inline as you show would work (and is arguably more secure), some folks prefer to have the appliance's interfaces both connected to the internal switch on an "inside" and "outside" VLAN.

That is a bit easier to implement and, should it ever need to be taken offliner it can be done with simple switch configuration vs. moving cables.

I wonder if you also need to protect a DMZ with IPS?

Vivek Ganapathi
Level 4
Level 4

As Marvin said, injecting an IPS inline to the path serves as the best protection as each every traffic in the path would be analyzed. The only issue with your IPS model accompanied with inline mode is, there is a lack of hardware inline bypass. But , it supports software bypass.

Thanks

Vivek

Guys

Pls can y update the topology with ideal design

thanks

Whatever you have in place is an ideal design.

guys

Pls one Favor,can u update the topology with two IPS for redundancy at the Internet edge,how the physical connectivity would appear

thanks

Based on your diagram i don't see a point of having redundant IPS when you don't have a redundant firewall, router & switch.

Hi Vivek

I m going to have redundant fashion at the Internet edge

Does that mean, you would have dual internet + router + Firewall + Switch?

Thanks

Vivek

Hi Vivek

yes y right, 2 Internet router (3825) 2 asa 5520 2 ips 4240 2 core 4500, acting as core

Pls vivek can u draw the topology for me for the IPSs,routers,ASAs at the Internet edge that describe the physical connectivity of the devices

frankly speaking  i didn't find diagram matching the described topolgoy so i seeking ur help

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card